• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illinois Judgement Credit Card Debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

creditrepairnow

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

Time to start picking up the pieces from 2008 and would like advice on how to proceed.

The biggest challenge to start with is a $7,400 past due bill from a credit card company. Delinquent since 2008, Judgement from the state of IL in 2009 saying it's legit, appeared in court, filed no contest.

Both are still on credit report. The creditor should drop it off my report this month. The judgement should drop off August 2016.

Since the judgement is from Illinois, which I recently moved back to for work, (reside in Indiana, commute to Illinois for work), should I now worry they will start wage garnishments?

I can begin small payments, but fear they will enforce wage garnishments. Don't want to mess with the account if it is going to drop off soon, but unclear that since the judgement is greater than 5 years old, if it may fall under the Statute of Limitations.

Any suggestions?

racer72

Just because the debt or judgment may drop off your credit report, it does not mean the creditor cannot continue to enforce the judgment. The SOL on the debt itself was suspended the minute you left the state but that's not a problem now that there is a judgment. The SOL for judgments in Illinois is 20 years. The judgment is not going away anytime soon.

creditrepairnow

Just because the debt or judgment may drop off your credit report, it does not mean the creditor cannot continue to enforce the judgment. The SOL on the debt itself was suspended the minute you left the state but that's not a problem now that there is a judgment. The SOL for judgments in Illinois is 20 years. The judgment is not going away anytime soon.
Thank you for the reply. I'll be contacting this creditor this week to get the ball moving on this. Wish me luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">