• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Involuntary fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

younganddense

This is the actual post

My username precedes my reputation. It's hard to admit this because I'm ashamed of it, but I had a sugar daddy. I'm a student and I have crazy amounts of bills to be paid, I have siblings and my parents can only contribute so much, I've heard success stories of sugar daddy stories, and I thought it could work. He said he needed to deposit money into my account because his parents needed the money and he couldn't do it from where he was on business. I said no for weeks until he made me feel terrible about myself for not helping, so I let him. Biggest mistake. The bank froze my account and said if the cheques come back as fraudulent I will held responsible. I had absolutely no intent to use the money and I stated that countless times in my conversations with him. If I have proof that I had no intent to use the money (whether the cheques were verified or not) and I didn't touch it at all, will I still be the one reprimanded? I also have proof of him threatening me if I didn't comply. I am so stupid and scared and I just wanted to get through school without financially burdening my family. Somebody please help.

quincy

My username precedes my reputation. It's hard to admit this because I'm ashamed of it, but I had a sugar daddy. I'm a student and I have crazy amounts of bills to be paid, I have siblings and my parents can only contribute so much, I've heard success stories of sugar daddy stories, and I thought it could work. He said he needed to deposit money into my account because his parents needed the money and he couldn't do it from where he was on business. I said no for weeks until he made me feel terrible about myself for not helping, so I let him. Biggest mistake. The bank froze my account and said if the cheques come back as fraudulent I will held responsible. I had absolutely no intent to use the money and I stated that countless times in my conversations with him. If I have proof that I had no intent to use the money (whether the cheques were verified or not) and I didn't touch it at all, will I still be the one reprimanded? I also have proof of him threatening me if I didn't comply. I am so stupid and scared and I just wanted to get through school without financially burdening my family. Somebody please help.
Are you located in the US, youngandense? If so, what is the name of your state? If not, you should know that FreeAdvice handles US legal questions and law concerns only.

younganddense

Are you located in the US, youngandense? If so, what is the name of your state? If not, you should know that FreeAdvice handles US legal questions and law concerns only.
I'm located in Canada, but surely the same federal laws for fraud would apply?

adjusterjack

I'm guessing that banking laws, and customer account agreements, are similar in Canada as the US.

Your "proof" of anything means nothing. Your lack of intent means nothing.

If the bank is out money from checques that you deposited in your account, YOU will owe the bank the money and can be sued for it because your contract (customer account agreement) says you owe it even if fraud or intent are not issues.

quincy

Last edited:

younganddense

I'm guessing that banking laws, and customer account agreements, are similar in Canada as the US.

Your "proof" of anything means nothing. Your lack of intent means nothing.

If the bank is out money from checques that you deposited in your account, YOU will owe the bank the money and can be sued for it because your contract (customer account agreement) says you owe it even if fraud or intent are not issues.
That's the thing, I didn't touch the money at all. I don't owe anything. It was deposited and left and I just got notice from the bank that the cheque was sent back to sender. So it's not even in my account anymore. Am I still in trouble?

quincy

That's the thing, I didn't touch the money at all. I don't owe anything. It was deposited and left and I just got notice from the bank that the cheque was sent back to sender. So it's not even in my account anymore. Am I still in trouble?
The other poster was guessing at what Canadian law might be and was wrong in his guesses, at least according to the Canadian Bankers Association. Banks look at whether a banking customer "knowingly contributed" to a fraud. You can ask your questions at one of the legal advice sites provided previously or you can contact a lawyer in your area of Canada for advice (which would probably be a good idea anyway).

The bottom line is that Canadian laws are not the same as US laws and we only handle US laws on this site.

If you want to report fraudulent checks (or cheques), here is a link to Canada's Anti-Fraud Centre: http://www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca/index-eng.htm

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">