• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Joint Credit Card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yveto

You would need to travel to that state to sue said person. If/when you win, then you will still need to collect. I'm sorry, but that's the only real option here. And, you will STILL need to pay at least the minimum due each month to protect your credit.
Yes, I was hoping it would stay under $80.00 for the minimum in order to be able to afford it until things start rolling. Would you happen to know how long it would take once I put in a claim?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sorry, I missed the memo. I didn't know that's the action I would have to take. Never thought I would have to take that type of action. I just thought I could notarize a document that he would have to sign stating that he would take half, if not full, responsibility of the payments, and if he did not fulfill that responsibility, then I would have the opportunity to take him to court.
What makes you think that he'd (a) sign it, or (b) abide by it?

In the end, your stuck in the same place. You'll need to make at least the minimum payments to protect your credit and you'll need to take him to small claims court in his state.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, I was hoping it would stay under $80.00 for the minimum in order to be able to afford it until things start rolling. Would you happen to know how long it would take once I put in a claim?
Winning is the easy part, collecting is the hard part.

OHRoadwarrior

You said joint credit card. You did not specifically clarify if it was his card and he added you as a user. It was your card and you added him as a user or you applied together at the same time. The original applicant for the card has the right to shut off all added users he/she adds. I suggest you file a complaint with the Comptroller.

http://www.occ.gov/topics/consumer-protection/credit-cards-debit-cards-and-gift-cards/index-credit-cards-debit-cards-and-gift-cards.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">