• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

judgement against my spouse....need help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lars

Hello,
My wife owes a major university some money for a promisory note she signed while in college there...this was many years ago...
They have billed her/us for years, while she was at another college, etc., and she has tried to set up payment plans with them many times, and they are very uncooperative about anything she tries to do.
Basically, the college is in another state, but they sued my wife and obtained a judgement against her for around 12K.
They have recently filed a 'foriegn judgement execution' in the state we live in, which is a sister state, and in the paperwork it said that our state would begin execution 10 days from the mailing date. We received the paperwork about 17 days after the said date.
My wife has nothing in her name except her car which is only worth about $800, and we have a joint account that is empty. We have seperate checking accounts, and basically everything is in my name that we own, We do not own a home yet, and the only income for her is child support from a previous marriage.
I guess my actual questions are these:
1. Does anybody know what the exempt minimum amount is for a writ of execution to seize, say for the value of her car, personal items etc.? I know it varies from state to state.
we live in the metro Atlanta GA. area.
2. Can her child support be intercepted? siezed?
3. Am I in danger, being her spouse? Is there anything further they can do, or that WE can do to either halt this proceeding or keep them at bay?
In the future I might possibly offer them some sort of settlement or plan, but it would be at least a year down the road and my wife is horrified. Why would this college so diligently pursue her for such a small amount and be so uncooperative? What can we do at this point? Should she try chapter 7? chapter 13? these are promisoty notes for education, but not govt. ed loans.......
Is there a statute of limitations in Ga for the judgement, as far as how long it can hang over her shoulder?
Any help is very much appreciated, as I am a working man, and she is an at-home mom, and we don't have $$ for an attorney to basically tell us there's nothing we can do, as I suspect is the case.
Thank you
Lars
[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">