• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

JUDGMENT/LIEN

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sheryl

In Illinois I have a judgment (resulting in a lien) from 6 1/2 years ago, I have divorced and moved across the country, how can I get rid of this lien to buy a new home?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

SHERYL KARCA said:
In Illinois I have a judgment (resulting in a lien) from 6 1/2 years ago, I have divorced and moved across the country, how can I get rid of this lien to buy a new home?
My response:

Pay the debt, and in exchange, they must file a "Release" of the lien. That's the only way.

IAAL

S

Sheryl

It's gonna be hard!

I have to go to Illinois to even get a copy of this judgment (they won't do a search over the phone or by mail). Any other way to get a copy? I tried to contact the Mortgage company but it has either gone out of business or been sold. I don't know how to find out if they are out of busines or who bought them. Any suggestions?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Yes. Call any lawfirm in Illinois to ask for the name and phone number of their "Attorney Service" (those are the people that take pleadings to court for filing) and call that Service. Give them all the information about the judgment that you have, and have them go to the court to get you a copy of the judgment. It's far cheaper to do it that way, than to fly to Illinois, wouldn't you agree ?

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">