• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

judgment Lien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

susanish

I have been served with a Judgement Lien (no real property) on a auto repo that happened 2 years ago. Here's the question... I have a joint checking account with another (not spouse). Can the collection atty access funds under my social security number from the JOINT checking account without notice?

Please advise asap since Tuesday is a new banking day. Thanks.

J

JasonRT

Dear susanish,

Yes, the judgment creditor may file a levy against your joint bank account. The court views the comingling of funds in a bank account like the comingling of water. Except in VERY rare circumstances all of the funds in the account will be subject to levy.

They will provide notice once they levy the account, but at that point the funds will already be frozen by the bank.

FYI - even though you have no real property the judgment creditor still filed a lien against you so that you cannot purchase any within that county until their judgment has been satisfied.

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">