• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgment lien Ohio

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wdwgg2000

What is the name of your state? Ohio
I have a judgment lien in Ohio from 1998 for $3,099. Is there a SOL on this or do I have no other choice but to pay it? How would I go about trying to negotiate a settlement amount? Is there much of a chance that they will take a lesser amount?

Ladynred

Judgements in OH are good for 21 years :(
You're a long way from being out of the woods on it.

The older the debt/judgment, the more likely they are to accept a settlement - anything to get $$$. Just keep in mind that this judgment as also been accumulating interest every year and the balance isn't just going to be what was awarded to the creditor.

Send the JC a settlement offer, in writing, send it certified, RRR and keep the papertrail. Start low and know your top limit. Do not pay a dime unless you get an agreement, in writing, and that it stipulates you will also get a letter of satisfaction that they record with the court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">