+ Reply to Thread
    jloverly6 is offline Junior Member

Junk car w/ over 379k miles, with lien on title

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
    Help! I need desperately to just get rid of this piece of junk in the driveway! Car has lien on title for a loan that is still open and I am currently making payments after I fell behind and loan was renegociated. Car was never brought up again as collateral. I don't want any money for the stupid car. Wasn't bank also irresponsible to give loan with a car at the time almost 15 years old with almost 200k miles? Bank will not work with me. Car is of no value. Signed contract in place for full value of loan, but will not release lien because they will have no claim to the loan? Doesn't the contract do that? Can I just donate it? What are my options? I have been on the phone with DMV and creditor for the past two days.
    Thank you kindly.
    Zigner is offline Senior Member
    You could always pay the loan off as YOU agreed to do (twice!)

As for loaning you money - yeah, the bank was dumb to loan money to you.
    Antigone* is offline Senior Member
    In honor of JetX ~ Somnambulist University
    Quote Originally Posted by jloverly6 View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
    Help! I need desperately to just get rid of this piece of junk in the driveway! Car has lien on title for a loan that is still open and I am currently making payments after I fell behind and loan was renegociated. Car was never brought up again as collateral. I don't want any money for the stupid car. Wasn't bank also irresponsible to give loan with a car at the time almost 15 years old with almost 200k miles? Bank will not work with me. Car is of no value. Signed contract in place for full value of loan, but will not release lien because they will have no claim to the loan? Doesn't the contract do that? Can I just donate it? What are my options? I have been on the phone with DMV and creditor for the past two days.
    Thank you kindly.

The only irresponsible party here is the party who purchased the piece of junk. The gave YOU the money for the car. The car will legally become yours when you satisfy the lien. Until then you cannot give away what does not belong to you.
    ok, thank you for reiterating what has been keeping me up at night believe me if I had over $2500 to spare I wouldn't be writing in for free advise. I didn't write in to be chastised. I have been in & out of work totally unexpectedly for about a year but I digress.....my question: how do i junk this car? donate it? it's of no value to either party.
    Zigner is offline Senior Member
    my question: how do i junk this car? donate it? it's of no value to either party.
    You got your answer in the first response (mine) AND the second response.

You will have to pay it off before you can legally get rid of it.
    Antigone* is offline Senior Member
    In honor of JetX ~ Somnambulist University
    ok, thank you for reiterating what has been keeping me up at night believe me if I had over $2500 to spare I wouldn't be writing in for free advise. I didn't write in to be chastised. I have been in & out of work totally unexpectedly for about a year but I digress.....my question: how do i junk this car? donate it? it's of no value to either party.
    Don't you get it????

YOU CANNOT DONATE OR JUNK WHAT IS NOT YOURS TO DONATE OR JUNK. (I'll stop yelling now). You must have clear title to donate the vehicle. In order to obtain the title you have to pay your debt.
    Thank you again kindly for your prompt replies. I appreciate your help. Good day.
    ecmst12 is offline Senior Member
    I doubt that even a charity would want the junker at this point.