• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

late fee on BOA credit card and its effect on credit history

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ralf_p

Hello,
I was late in making my BOA credit card payment by 5 days. The amount was less than 100$. I've been charged a fee of 35$. Can I get it waived off?
Most importantly, will it adversely affect my credit history?

RP
California

TigerD

Hello,
I was late in making my BOA credit card payment by 5 days. The amount was less than 100$. I've been charged a fee of 35$. Can I get it waived off?
Most importantly, will it adversely affect my credit history?

RP
California
Take out your credit card. Turn it over and look at the back side. Identify the customer service number. Go to your phone. Pick up the handset and verify tat the dial tone is there. Enter the numbers from the customer service number into the phone using the touch dial buttons. When BOA picks up the line on the other follow the directions the computer gives you and talk to a representative alternately you can usually hit 0 twice and go right to an operator).

Ask the operator your question.

If this is your first late payment BOA may agree to eliminate the fee. Ask customer service if that's possible. But, because you were late, the credit reporting services will likely show the transaction as 30 days past due. This will lower your credit score by a few points and the negative factor will appear on your credit reports for seven years though the impact on scores will diminish with the passage of time.

Betty

Some credit card companies do not report a late payment to the credit bureaus until it is actually 30 days late & some even wait until payment is 60 days late to black-mark your credit report.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Some credit card companies do not report a late payment to the credit bureaus until it is actually 30 days late & some even wait until payment is 60 days late to black-mark your credit report.
I'd like to take that a step further. I'm not sure of your grace period, but if it is 20 days, then you are fine regarding Credit...because your payment is NOT 30 days late, and that's where the credit report starts at.
If your grace period is 25 days, then it's a bit iffy. If you paid on the 30th day, you might be ok. If you paid on the 31st ... well, it'll probably be on the credit history.

ralf_p

Thanks! But I was late by about 6 days. Now would BOA report this as a black mark on my credit history?

RP
California

Betty

It's not likely - they shouldn't for being just 6 days late. I have a relative who has a BOA credit card & she is usually always sending her payment off a few days late. They charge her a late payment fee but nothing adverse has ever shown up on her credit report re a late payment. Hopefully, you will be ok.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks! But I was late by about 6 days. Now would BOA report this as a black mark on my credit history?

RP
California
The answer will depend on the grace period. If you have a 20 days grace period, then you would never be reported for paying at the 26th day.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">