Closed Thread
    koolminx is offline Junior Member

Angry Legal Order fees charged by bank

Washington State resident, California State Fee occurrence.

My B of A bank account was debited by the Ca. State Franchise Tax board, a sum of money.

My bank charged me $100 dollars Legal Order fees.

California was in the wrong to charge me and Reversed the legal order.

My bank KEPT the $100 dollar legal order fee (that they did not charge me a further $100 dollars to process the original monies back into my account -although it was a reversal of a Legal Order and thus a new Legal Order- is confusing to me but I am happy about that little thing nonetheless)

The state of California (I moved out in September or October of 2008) charged me Vehicle licensing fees directly through my bank Without giving me any due recourse, thus causing me to have a $100 dollar banking fee, although My vehicles have been registered and Titled and Licensed in the state of Washington since late 2008.

When I called and informed them of the error, they admitted no fault but DID release my monies back to me (is that not admitting fault?), but the state and the bank claim no responsibility for the billing thus the Fees have so far stood.

It is only $200 dollars, but We are a one income household, my wife is in the military and we need every dang penny we have.

Is there ANYTHING I can do to claim my money back? The money that I would Still have in the bank, (not the $17 bucks currently there) had this not occured...
    Zigner is offline Senior Member
    The bank did nothing wrong.

ETA: I'm not even sure that the State did. But I can't speak to that as I don't have all the facts. Furthermore, the reversal of the charges does NOT mean that they were wrong.
    Well, that's SORT of a good point you made, but in my line of thinking, Who but a Court of Law can pass monetary judgment against ME, without my knowledge or allowing me any recourse?

One can be judged against in his or her absence, but legal process must include informing him or her of this legal matter. Is that NOT correct? Is there no DUE PROCESS in the state of CA?

If there is, am I not allowed to see where that due process was used? May I not appeal to a court about the judgment? How may I appeal if there was no judgment?

My Vehicles LEFT California in 2008, and the Titles were then transferred to Washington state as were the registrations. Where is the state of California Justified in taking Registration fees from myself when the vehicles are no longer in that state? Neither physically nor legally...

Am I still making no sense that you can discern?
    If the bank did Nothing wrong in their charging me $100 dollars to process the Legal order, why did they not charge ANOTHER $100 dollars to refund the amount? Was that second order to refund my money NOT a legal order also?
    Stevef is offline Senior Member
    I've found the local BOA branches to be quite helpful, while the customer service is anything but helpful.

Try driving down to your local branch and see if they'll reverse the charge.

Ask nicely.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolminx View Post
    If the bank did Nothing wrong in their charging me $100 dollars to process the Legal order, why did they not charge ANOTHER $100 dollars to refund the amount? Was that second order to refund my money NOT a legal order also?
    You're right. I suggest that you DEMAND that BofA charge the additional $100
    Antigone* is offline Senior Member
    In honor of JetX ~ Somnambulist University
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigner View Post
    You're right. I suggest that you DEMAND that BofA charge the additional $100
    Why not "demand" a copy of the depository agreement instead, at least that way the OP won't look like a fool because he'll have read his agreement stating that he is aware that this fee is a valid fee.
    You two are not being very grown up about my question!

I want my money back because CA should NEVER have been able to debit my account without a judgment against me in a Court of LAW.

Is that not correct?

Or can any idiot just call my bank and say some guy owes me $50 bucks, please take it and give it to me...?

I just got off the phone with my bank, and they REVERSED that damnable charge

It took 2 managers and the levy department but I got it back!

Did I mention that they debited my account on Thursday, then re-debited my account on Friday and kept an extra $262 bucks from me over the entire weekend?

Well I finally got some blood from this turnip! Too bad they didn't do it for August also!

Off to CA.gov to fight about my other 3 car's that are NOT in California anymore..
    Last edited by m martin; 10-13-2009 at 04:47 PM.
    debtcollector` is offline Senior Member
    MLK: "A riot is the language of the unheard."
    Is there no DUE PROCESS in the state of CA?
    In the people's republic ... sure. They process and you pay what is due.

DC
    Antigone* is offline Senior Member
    In honor of JetX ~ Somnambulist University
    Or can any idiot just call my bank and say some guy owes me $50 bucks, please take it and give it to me...?
    NO not just any idiot...only the State or the Feds

Glad to know you left the state. One less dead beat that doesn't pay his bills to worry about.
    AGAIN - the bank did nothing wrong originally. Congrats that you were able to get the fees reversed on a PR basis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wirelessany1 View Post
    NO not just any idiot...only the State or the Feds

Glad to know you left the state. One less dead beat that doesn't pay his bills to worry about.

I MOVED from CA a year ago!

My car's are registered in Washington state, they are also titled here and plated here.

CA. had NO jurisdiction, yet they managed to pull this stunt off. The Governator keeping the state broke provokes many money garnering schemes no doubt... They did refund my $ as it was not theirs in the first place so I'm happy about that.

ZINGER, I know the bank did nothing wrong initially, with the exception of double debiting my account, but I believed that there should have been something done, and I got it.
    Last edited by m martin; 10-13-2009 at 04:48 PM.