• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

levys on bank accounts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

ldade

I recently had my checking accoutn levied for a judgement from several years ago. I had a substantial amount in my account, due to the fact, that i had received a refund from avehicle that I purchased, which I planned to use to pay off a loan to my credit union. In addition, I had people deposit money in my account,for checks that I wrote on their behalf, as well a checks for my motor vehicle insurance. I wrote these checks before I knew about the levey. Is any of the money possibly exempt? I know that I won't get all of it back, but I can't recoup the money for check already written, that will bounce and incur additional debt, to say nothing about the money others gave me to write a check on their behalf. Please Help.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ldade said:
I recently had my checking accoutn levied for a judgement from several years ago. I had a substantial amount in my account, due to the fact, that i had received a refund from avehicle that I purchased, which I planned to use to pay off a loan to my credit union. In addition, I had people deposit money in my account,for checks that I wrote on their behalf, as well a checks for my motor vehicle insurance. I wrote these checks before I knew about the levey. Is any of the money possibly exempt? I know that I won't get all of it back, but I can't recoup the money for check already written, that will bounce and incur additional debt, to say nothing about the money others gave me to write a check on their behalf. Please Help.

My response:

None of that money is exempt, because none of it came from Government funds, like Social Security. You should never commingle someone else's money with your own money. Now you're on the hook to your friends who entrusted you with their money.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">