• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Limit on Amount to Collect?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MHiser

I live in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
3 years ago a check was bounced at a resturaunt for $46.00.
I never received any paperwork from the collection agency now assigned to this debt the year it happened. (I found out they had been sending all the paperwork to an old address and the Process Server just gave it to anyone who answered the door.) I of course, missed the court date, not knowing anything about this. ( I was married and he failed to mention it bounced and than removed himself from the account so he can not be held responsible).
Two YEARS later, I received a letter, at my new home, it came directly to my current address ( 3 differant addresses later). It stated that I owed them $764.00 and that they had just recently withen the past month of 2004, placed a bench warrant on me for missing a court date in 2002.
Can they not contact me for that long? That seems odd to me. If I had known about this, I would've more than happily paid it off, even if I had to make payment arrangements. I am not one to avoid responsibility.
But is that amount even legal??? I was told they could only charge me up to $300 for court costs, attorneys fees and the amount of the check? I need to know what the limit is, so I know if they are trying to charge me for much more than I truely owe or not. I want to pay this off, but I'm a single mom, so that is going to take quite awhile.
When I called the court house to confirm that I really had a bench warrant, they told me there was also ANOTHER from a company that I have never been cotnacted by whatsoever! And the file says I owe them about $500 for a $30 check. Can they NOT contact me and put a warrant for me?
Thank you in advance for any advice or help!!!

M.Hiser
[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">