• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

loan cosigner being sued

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

laraine

I cosigned a loan here in Michigan. Primary signer has since moved to Virginia. I have been making small payments on this loan and have written agreement from creditor to this effect. Now, collection agency is in the picture and I am being sued for full amount which I don't have. What can I do - I thought I was protected from being sued by having written agreement. Also, can I sue in small claims court the primary signer even tho he claimed bankrupcy? Don't know if he listed me as creditor on bankrupcy papers. If I can sue him, would I have to travel to Va., something I can't afford to do. Please advise - I have to go to court in three weeks. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">