• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Locked out of my account at Bank of America

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

qadria

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland
I owed Bank of america some money for overdrafts (nfs) for a few months. When I received funds to cover the exhorbitant fees i.e., $35.00 for a 6.95 overdraft (not that I had not applied for overdraft protection and was denied) I deposited a check in my savings account as I was told they had closed the checking account. My bankcard issued by them, was still valid and useable. I indicated I wanted to pay off what I owed, deposit something intothe checking account -which another person (in their customer service dpt) had told me on the phone was very possible as the account was only recently closed- and was told again, that the account was closed and they did not have access to it. In any case I agreed ot let the check clear then return. When I did that and was ready to pay-up and deposit into the checking account I was told I had to open a new one; or rather, remembering that I had been told by another that they could indeed access the account, the representative called and then told me I would have to open an new chkng acct. Ok, I agreed and was asked for ID. I initially gave them the bankcard issued to me with my face on it and was asked for more. I presented the only ID I had which was my driver's license which had expired. Same face, mind you, same ss#. I was then told that I could not open a new account as I did not have valid ID. I then said I wanted to pay what I owed and close out the account. I was told I could not withdraw (my own money) because/unless I presented valid ID. The hagglign went on for over an hour and the rep called her superior to whom I spoke with only to be told the same. Calls were made the manager lied to his superior on the phone and I was briskly asked to leave in so many words while being remanded that I could not absolutely not, get money out of my own account nor could I close the account. Is this legal?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland
I owed Bank of america some money for overdrafts (nfs) for a few months. When I received funds to cover the exhorbitant fees i.e., $35.00 for a 6.95 overdraft (not that I had not applied for overdraft protection and was denied) I deposited a check in my savings account as I was told they had closed the checking account. My bankcard issued by them, was still valid and useable. I indicated I wanted to pay off what I owed, deposit something intothe checking account -which another person (in their customer service dpt) had told me on the phone was very possible as the account was only recently closed- and was told again, that the account was closed and they did not have access to it. In any case I agreed ot let the check clear then return. When I did that and was ready to pay-up and deposit into the checking account I was told I had to open a new one; or rather, remembering that I had been told by another that they could indeed access the account, the representative called and then told me I would have to open an new chkng acct. Ok, I agreed and was asked for ID. I initially gave them the bankcard issued to me with my face on it and was asked for more. I presented the only ID I had which was my driver's license which had expired. Same face, mind you, same ss#. I was then told that I could not open a new account as I did not have valid ID. I then said I wanted to pay what I owed and close out the account. I was told I could not withdraw (my own money) because/unless I presented valid ID. The hagglign went on for over an hour and the rep called her superior to whom I spoke with only to be told the same. Calls were made the manager lied to his superior on the phone and I was briskly asked to leave in so many words while being remanded that I could not absolutely not, get money out of my own account nor could I close the account. Is this legal?
Well, if you owe the bank money from one account. It appears to me that they will soon enough use the funds in the account that is active to pay the OD account. Your OD account, if closed by the systems, has gone to their recovery unit. It might be a week or two, but I'm sure you will get a letter asking you to please come take the remaining funds and close the account. When you do get that letter, please make sure you have valid ID ~ an expired driver's license is not valid.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You need to get a state issued ID. Or, a passport, etc.

What other type of ID would the bank accept?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">