• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Losing bank account- how to cash checks?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ellisdiva

What is the name of your state? California.

I'm new here so pardoin me if this has been covered. I'm very stressed- was on State disability for a year and still waiting on decision for my perm. dis. case which has been going for about 4 years now. I was forced to go back to work against my doctors and even the State of Cal's doctor advice because I have no other income. I can only work very few hrs. per week when I can even move at all to go in. I have NO money and my bank accnt. is on the verge of being closed due to a direct deposit advance overdraft I cannot pay. If I am reported to telecheck or one of those places, can I still cash paychecks at a check cashing center? I mean, there has to be a way to at least cash one's paycheck, even if you can't get another bank accnt. for 5 years or so, right? Please, any advice would be great. I'm seriously scared to death here and have many more financial problems because of all of this such as unpaid credit cards, pay advance, DELL computer bills, etc.- ALL because I became disabled and have now lost 3 jobs because I miss so many days from this disability (stems from a botched scoliosis surgey back in 1983/84- wrote about this is in the malpractice forum). Thanks and kindest regards.

Veronica1228

ellisdiva said:
What is the name of your state? California.

I'm new here so pardoin me if this has been covered. I'm very stressed- was on State disability for a year and still waiting on decision for my perm. dis. case which has been going for about 4 years now. I was forced to go back to work against my doctors and even the State of Cal's doctor advice because I have no other income. I can only work very few hrs. per week when I can even move at all to go in. I have NO money and my bank accnt. is on the verge of being closed due to a direct deposit advance overdraft I cannot pay. If I am reported to telecheck or one of those places, can I still cash paychecks at a check cashing center? I mean, there has to be a way to at least cash one's paycheck, even if you can't get another bank accnt. for 5 years or so, right? Please, any advice would be great. I'm seriously scared to death here and have many more financial problems because of all of this such as unpaid credit cards, pay advance, DELL computer bills, etc.- ALL because I became disabled and have now lost 3 jobs because I miss so many days from this disability (stems from a botched scoliosis surgey back in 1983/84- wrote about this is in the malpractice forum). Thanks and kindest regards.
First of all, if your bank closes your account because of NSF they will report you to ChexSystems where you will remain for 5 years. You are correct that it will be difficult to get an account during that time since most banks will not let you open one if you are on Chex. However, I have heard that there are ways around this. If you do a search using the work "Chexsystems" on google or Yahoo! there are a lot of sites that will come up that have advice for you. I don't know anyone who has used these sites, but give it a shot.

If you find that you cannot open a new account, then yes you should be able to cash checks at a check cashing establishment. Be prepared to pay fairly significant charges though.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">