• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lost a Bank Check in PA, what can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xirene

I am in Montgomery Cty, PA. I obtained a bank check to pay my mortgage, and it has disappeared. I have torn the house apart looking for it. I called the bank, and they told me that it is their policy not to stop payment on bank checks. Obviously, it is no good to anyone else, as it is made payable to the mortgage company.
What does PA law have to say about a situation like this? If the check was not cleared, why could it not have payment stopped on it and the money refunded to my account? Are their laws that would apply to this situation, or is it just simply governed by each particular bank's policy?
Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Veronica1228

xirene said:
I am in Montgomery Cty, PA. I obtained a bank check to pay my mortgage, and it has disappeared. I have torn the house apart looking for it. I called the bank, and they told me that it is their policy not to stop payment on bank checks. Obviously, it is no good to anyone else, as it is made payable to the mortgage company.
What does PA law have to say about a situation like this? If the check was not cleared, why could it not have payment stopped on it and the money refunded to my account? Are their laws that would apply to this situation, or is it just simply governed by each particular bank's policy?

I have to admit that I am not familiar with the term, "bank check." Do you know if there is another name for it such as cashier's check, money order, or certified check?

S

seniorjudge

xirene said:
If you are talking about a cashier's check, then that is just like money and if you lose it, it is gone.

Veronica1228

seniorjudge said:
If you are talking about a cashier's check, then that is just like money and if you lose it, it is gone.

That's not necessarily true. The bank I work at will place a stop payment on a cashier's check, but only if it is lost or stolen.

S

seniorjudge

The bank I work at will place a stop payment on a cashier's check, but only if it is lost or stolen.

Ah! So how does one prove that a cashier's check is lost or stolen?

Also, I guess we shouldn't really be treating cashier's checks as cashier's checks any more, correct?

Veronica1228

seniorjudge said:
The bank I work at will place a stop payment on a cashier's check, but only if it is lost or stolen.

Ah! So how does one prove that a cashier's check is lost or stolen?

Also, I guess we shouldn't really be treating cashier's checks as cashier's checks any more, correct?
My bank will take the customer's word for it if they say it is lost or stolen. However, if the actual payee of the check tries to cash it, we MAY let it go through and then charge back the remitter.

Either way, if the issuer is lying, they will pay for it one way or another.

Veronica1228

I almost forgot, we also wait 2-3 weeks before reissuing the cashier's check or giving a refund. This is what we call CYA (cover your assets)!!!

Debt Guy

Note for seniorjudge

Cashier's checks are not what common wisdom says they are. There are many very high quality counterfeits out in the wild today.

A wise person will treat a cashier's check like a personal check until they confirm all the details of the check (amount, remitter, date, signature, color, size, routing/transit etc.) with the issuing bank. Even then, there is still vulnerability since it is common for a counterfeiter to use a real check as a "go by" in creating the counterfeit.

The only reasonably safe practice is to fax a copy of the check to the issuing bank and ask them to fax back a statement that the check is valid and will be honored on presentment. Even then, you might end up in a lawsuit trying to force payment.

All this comes for hard earned personal knowledge.

Last edited:
S

seniorjudge

The only reasonably safe practice is to fax a copy of the check to the issuing bank and ask them to fax back a statement that the check is valid and will be honored on presentment. Even then, you might end up in a lawsuit trying to force payment.

Interesting.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">