• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

low balance reminders fail. should bank be responsible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tenshi_R

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

chase has many reminders available for low balance. overdraft reminders through text email and android app

magically they all fail right when there are multiple charges to go through that will put my account in overdraft...

every other time they work like they should

I swipe a card at the store 10 seconds later I get a txt message and app notification for low balance.

I have setup all possible notifications that they have to remind me if my balance goes below certain amount. yet they all fail every time it goes into overdraft..

I set them up so I don't have to login every day to check if my balance is too low.
yet the bankers excuse is . "you cant rely on those tools to give you accurate info" WTF? what you mean I cant rely on them... why the fk did you make them then if they are unreliable?

its like a company makind a digital caliper for engine assembly and be like. yeah about that caliper. its not really accurate. so don't rely on it to measure clearances on your motor...

I mean am I missing something here? those tools seem like a hand drawn rules. just for fun...

I always thought that if you offer a service you are responsible to make sure it works properly since people rely on it. if not then why offer it

is there any laws that cover it?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

chase has many reminders available for low balance. overdraft reminders through text email and android app

magically they all fail right when there are multiple charges to go through that will put my account in overdraft...

every other time they work like they should

I swipe a card at the store 10 seconds later I get a txt message and app notification for low balance.

I have setup all possible notifications that they have to remind me if my balance goes below certain amount. yet they all fail every time it goes into overdraft..

I set them up so I don't have to login every day to check if my balance is too low.
yet the bankers excuse is . "you cant rely on those tools to give you accurate info" WTF? what you mean I cant rely on them... why the fk did you make them then if they are unreliable?

its like a company makind a digital caliper for engine assembly and be like. yeah about that caliper. its not really accurate. so don't rely on it to measure clearances on your motor...

I mean am I missing something here? those tools seem like a hand drawn rules. just for fun...

I always thought that if you offer a service you are responsible to make sure it works properly since people rely on it. if not then why offer it

is there any laws that cover it?
Nope...you are expected to know whether or not you have enough money to spend. Whatever services or warnings your bank gives you are courtesy notices.

OHRoadwarrior

The reason you receive a statement is so you can add and subtract the money that has gone in and come out. Then you do not incur overdraft fees.

tenshi_R

I don't think you understood what I mean

why offer a service at all if its completely unreliable and I still have to check balance by going on their webpage...
it makes no sense at all

if you come to my shop and I install headlight bulbs in your car for free and they randomly go out when you about to take a turn into your driveway and you hit someone. can I say sorry bruh you shouldn't rely on those bulbs they are just courtesy bulbs. you should use a flashlight every time you drive somewhere

tenshi_R

you live in 20 years ago. I don't even receive statements . I reveive no paper bills for anything.

maybe I should pay with checks instead of card or switch back to seashells?

Gail in Georgia

One can easily go online and check the balance on their accounts 24/7.

It's probably a good idea for you to have a bit more funds in your accounts for "padding" so you're not living so close to the edge (so to speak) regarding the amount in your current accounts.

Gail

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
maybe I should pay with checks instead of card or switch back to seashells?
If you can't manage your account, then perhaps you ought to go to a prepaid card, or even just use cash.

Chase doesn't guarantee timely delivery of their alerts. Heck, I bet if you dig in to the terms, they don't guarantee delivery of the alerts at all. As was said above, they're a courtesy.

tenshi_R

I don't think you still understand. whatever you may call it.

why offer a service if its completely unreliable and everyone still has to check by logging in?

doesn't matter if they call it courtesy or not.
when you take a courtesy call in the hotel they don't usually call you 2 hours past your wake up time even though its a courtesy call.
a courtesy car at Mercedes dealership with 3 wheels doesn't help anyone.
a courtesy reminder is useless when its past your deadline.

a curtesy reminder system that has 3 different ways to contact you AND THEY ALL FAIL is not a curtesy reminder system. its a trap to get you to pay more overdraft fees.
all the bank has to say. sorry bruh its not reliable so don't use it. but we advertise it as a bonus feature when we try to get new customers...

I know you will argue just to argue to prove a point even though you completely understand what I mean.

managine my account is what this is about. I cant predict when the money will be taken out of my account since every charge takes different amount of time.
last month the insurance was drawn out in the evening on the 7th of the month and alerted me that its pending transaction and so did Netflix( but it didn't go in overdraft)
this month the insurance was drawn out on 7th as it hit midnight and then Netflix put another overdraft . I got no email no txt no alert from my chase app.
how do you explain all 3 of them failing at the same time every time my account goes in overdraft?

I have caught them many times already doing this. all the alerts will be silent when its in overdraft until 24 hours passes.
ive been watching them for 2 years.
when theres no overdraft I get 3 alerts instantly like clockwork.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, I think you are the one who does not understand.

As far as the law is concerned, there is only one person who is responsible for knowing the balance in your account and that is you. A lawsuit against the bank because their low balance reminders failed, would also fail. Since they have no duty in law to remind you, they will not be held responsible for the failure of their courtesy reminders. That is going to be the answer no matter how many times you repeat the question.

OHRoadwarrior

When you actually monitor your accounts and develop a good relationship with your bank, they respond in kind. Years ago we went on vacation and completely forgot about the bank account the bills come out of. (Isn't that what vacations are about), came back to discover we had overdrawn about $800. They paid the checks/charges and we apologized when we returned. They waved the fees as it was clear we had plenty of money in other accounts and just forgot to move it over.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't think you still understand. whatever you may call it.

why offer a service if its completely unreliable and everyone still has to check by logging in?

doesn't matter if they call it courtesy or not.
when you take a courtesy call in the hotel they don't usually call you 2 hours past your wake up time even though its a courtesy call.
a courtesy car at Mercedes dealership with 3 wheels doesn't help anyone.
a courtesy reminder is useless when its past your deadline.

a curtesy reminder system that has 3 different ways to contact you AND THEY ALL FAIL is not a curtesy reminder system. its a trap to get you to pay more overdraft fees.
all the bank has to say. sorry bruh its not reliable so don't use it. but we advertise it as a bonus feature when we try to get new customers...

I know you will argue just to argue to prove a point even though you completely understand what I mean.

managine my account is what this is about. I cant predict when the money will be taken out of my account since every charge takes different amount of time.
last month the insurance was drawn out in the evening on the 7th of the month and alerted me that its pending transaction and so did Netflix( but it didn't go in overdraft)
this month the insurance was drawn out on 7th as it hit midnight and then Netflix put another overdraft . I got no email no txt no alert from my chase app.
how do you explain all 3 of them failing at the same time every time my account goes in overdraft?

I have caught them many times already doing this. all the alerts will be silent when its in overdraft until 24 hours passes.
when theres no overdraft I get 3 alerts instantly like clockwork.
That means you don't know how to manage your money...you KNOW the approx date the charges will hit - you should have enough money to cover it.

justalayman

when theres no overdraft I get 3 alerts instantly like clockwork
how stupid do you have to be to knowingly use a system that does not provide what you need? Seems like you would have learned by now to not depend on a COURTESY notice that has proven to not be reliable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">