• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lower credit score caused a big credit card company's computer glitch

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

absq

Lower credit score caused by a big credit card company's computer glitch

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

One of the top credit card companies falsely reported to credit agencies that I had missed a payment by 30 days (I had credit balance that month). I accidentally found out about it when I ran my credit report. This error (probably a computer glitch) caused me multiple point reduction in credit score (on my otherwise perfect credit history). This makes me very angry as I take my credit score very seriously. Do I have a case here? Can I ask for damages? I'm still waiting for them to fix it.

Last edited:

absq

Thanks for the response. I was shopping for home loan. There may be hundreds like me (if it was a computer error) who would have paid higher interest in loan payments.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks for the response. I was shopping for home loan. There may be hundreds like me (if it was a computer error) who would have paid higher interest in loan payments.
Your lender will see this for what it is.

bdancer

It was an errror. You dispute it and they fix it. End of problem.

Lawsuits over inaccurate info require a whole lot more than just an error showing up on your credit report. You have to show that you tried to get them to fix the error and they refused or purposely reported incorrect info.

Also, one late or missed payment would not have dropped your FICO score that much. If your score was so close that a relatively minor item dropped your score enough to make a difference in a mortgage interest rate or approval, you were in danger of dropping just going thru the normal approval process.

swalsh411

I bet the person that opens the mail at a debt collector gets some pretty good laughs with the demands that are made.

bdancer

I bet the person that opens the mail at a debt collector gets some pretty good laughs with the demands that are made.
Especiallly those validation form letters with the long list of stuff "required by the FDCPA" ... I like the one that wants resumes on all employees of the collection agency ...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">