• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical bills/ collection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cdvg

What is the name of your state? Indiana
We recently had a baby and have been paying on the bill since we started seeing the obgyn in Sept. 2002. The hospital is now saying that they have decided to no longer take voluntary payments and that we must pay our bill in full within 30 days or be turned into collections. Can they do this?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

cdvg said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana
We recently had a baby and have been paying on the bill since we started seeing the obgyn in Sept. 2002. The hospital is now saying that they have decided to no longer take voluntary payments and that we must pay our bill in full within 30 days or be turned into collections. Can they do this?

My response:

Sure they can. Why would you think they couldn't? Because you're making some sort of self-determined payments?

They can't wait for you, and the hundreds of former patients, like you. They have a business to run and employees to pay, and everything else that makes a hospital run. Their creditors want and expect the hospital to pay their debts, and so the hospital wants you to pay yours.

Either that, or suffer the consequences.

IAAL

D

DChristian112

I believe they can make you pay now because, in my experience, medical practices/hospitals/clinics will offer you a payment plan, under the assumption that you will pay your bill within so many days. Say 90 days for instance.

Not the wisest decision, but if this bill is a great hardship on you and your family, you can file bankruptcy. However, that will scar your credit report for a great period of time.

Have you tried to work a new payment plan? With higher payments each month or week?

God's Blessings!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">