• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Bills Going to Collection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dallas212304

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I have a problem with a medical bill that my insurance has denied. I now have an outstanding bill and have been making monthly payments to them (the only thing I can aford to do at this point).After receiving 2 of my monthly payments they told me that they do not accept payments and that if I don't pay my bill in full they will turn me over to a collection agency. Is this legal? I thought as long as you were making some type of payment they couldn't ruin your credit by putting you in collection. I have a pefect credit report and want to keep it that way. Can anyone help? :eek:

Ladynred

Unfortunately for you, it IS legal. In most cases, medical facilities have signs all over the place that 'payment is due when services are rendered", this means in full. Then the insurance angle kicks in, so you pay your co-pay (if you have one) or they take your insurance information. If insurance denies the claim, then you're back to square one again, owing the full balance.

Although it seems ridiculous for them to accept partial payments from you as if it were acceptable, then turn around and demand payment in full. they can do it. Have you tried to negotiate with them, or are they just being stubborn ?

As bad as it may look on your credit report, oddly enough you have more power once the thing goes to a 3rd party collector than you do dealing with the original creditor, thanks to the FDCPA. Its possible that you may be able to negotiate more with the collection agency in return for having the entry removed from your credit report.. it can and does happen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">