• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

michigan auto repo laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dominic42

What is the name of your state? michigan

last year i financed a car thru chase bank, last month i was 27 days past due and they sent a letter to my employer and then a fella in a tow truck showed up at my front door telling me that i need to make a payment or they where going to take the car. am i mistaken that they can not do this unless the loan reaches 90 days past due? iv been late before with other banks but never been thrue this type of harrasment.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

justalayman

dominic42 said:
What is the name of your state? michigan

last year i financed a car thru chase bank, last month i was 27 days past due and they sent a letter to my employer and then a fella in a tow truck showed up at my front door telling me that i need to make a payment or they where going to take the car. am i mistaken that they can not do this unless the loan reaches 90 days past due? iv been late before with other banks but never been thrue this type of harrasment.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
I believe you are mistaken. I cannot find anything stating there is a minimum time allowed before repo, I can find nothing restricting from being immediate either.

Just because other banks wanted to allow you to be way over due does not require others to follow suit. Ideally the bank wants the money, not the car. Did you communicate any problems you were having to the bank. Communication is often the key in asituation such as this.

And why is it when people do something wrong and they are called on it, all of a sudden it is harrassment? The fact is you failed to live up to the promise you made in your contract and now you are griping about the resulting action. Pay the bill and your car won't go away anymore.

dominic42

your absolutley correct as to its my responsibility to keep my contractual agreements and i wont argue that. i was just shocked that the bank would take such actions on a bill that wasnt even 30 days past due, however iv been reading other posts on the forum pertaining to similar circumstances. so at least im not the first person that this has happened to. so thanks for your reply.

justalayman

dominic42 said:
your absolutley correct as to its my responsibility to keep my contractual agreements and i wont argue that. i was just shocked that the bank would take such actions on a bill that wasnt even 30 days past due, however iv been reading other posts on the forum pertaining to similar circumstances. so at least im not the first person that this has happened to. so thanks for your reply.
You are not the first and I am absolutely sure you won't be the last.

Like I posted before, communication is the key. If the lender is confident you are not planning on skipping town with their security, they tend to be more workable with this type of situation. If you leave them in the dark,they will come to their own conclusions.

Less than a month is very quick for a repo. Did you give them reason to have concern over the situation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">