• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Michigan repo

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

smichelin

Hi everyone, I live in Michigan and on Dec 6 both of our cars were repossesed. Mine was 64 days late and my husbands was 32 days late, the reason they said they took my husbands car also, was to get it current. After they were taken we immediately started calling to arrange to get the vehicles back. We called every hour for 7 days and no one ever called us back. Finally on day 8 someone returned our call. When we were finally able to contact someone about picking up our cars, Chrylser waived the storage fees on the cars due to no one calling us back for over a week. When I got in my van I had expected that my belongings would be out, about half was taken out and the other half was left in my van. I found a bag of old food and a receipt dated the day the took my car and it was for 2 hours later and about 60 miles from where they should have taken my car. Are they allowed to drive around for a couple of hours in my leased car?(not only that I am already over my miles and they added about 140 miles on to it) Also, I had no idea that they could repossess a car for being one payment late. Is that something that is in my lease agreement? Also, if I had known that they were repossing our vehicles I would have borrowed the money to pay it. They never contacted us at all to let us know, I take it they do not have to. Just curious what the Michigan repo laws are, thanks so much Stacey

J

JenniferH

You need to get your lease agreements out and read them! Take a look at what their recourse for in the contract for: late payment, storage fees, repossession, etc.

Also, if you had notified the company in writing (certified RRR mail) to your payments being late, then you possibly could have made an agreement for paying late. Did you notify the company that you were going to be late?

And, last but not least, 64 days is 2 months overdue, surely you realize that you were severely late and they would possibly reposses the car(s) for nonpayment!

S

smichelin

Thank you for your response, but that was not my question. I was wondering about driving around for a few hours in my car. I also looked at my lease agreement as you suggested and it states 3 months past due.

J

JenniferH

Again, look at the contract and see if there are any provisions regarding the driving of your car while out of your possession due to repossession. I would think that they have no right to do this.

You may want to send a certified RRR letter stating that you agree that the account is past due, that according to the contract there is a clause stating the 3 month past due thing, that you will make payment (to get car(s) back) and you are not responsible for the extra mileage that was put on the car once it was placed in their possession.

This letter is basically an acknowledgment of what happened and where you stand. The creditor does not have to honor this agreement, but atleast they know where you stand.

Hope this helps.

(If you truly don't get anywhere, you may want to consult an attorney in your area as to your rights)

LegalBeagle

smichelin said:
Also, if I had known that they were repossing our vehicles I would have borrowed the money to pay it. They never contacted us at all to let us know, I take it they do not have to. Just curious what the Michigan repo laws are, thanks so much Stacey
So you thought it was ok to be late on paying something ? There is a reason that all bills etc have something called a 'Due Date' ..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">