• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor Misused Bank Account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dolly1948

What is the name of your state? We live in Ohio.
I haven't seen this question. I now have a 24 year old son who opened a checking acct. (about 2 years ago) and TOTALLY mismanaged it. Bounced checksall the time. I think he still owes the bank about $120.00 in late fees. They sent him a letter saying that and that he can't have a checking account for 7 years. His new employer wants to direct-deposit his pay check into his acct. Any way for a stupid kid who made a dumb mistake to get a checking acct? I think he learned his leason.:D

ENASNI

Hello Dolly,

A twenty-four year old (or a tewnty-two year old for that matter) is not a minor... no matter how young it may be.

Let go of the apron strings Mama...

Last edited:

fairisfair

Some employers offer an alternative method, such as a vendor from a major banking institution that provides an account with an ATM card, but no ability to write checks. Others will allow funds to be directed to another person's account with that person's permission and the authorization from your son. Either way, it is up to that big boy to approach his employer, explain his situation and allow them to inform him of alternatives.

Veronica1228

Dolly1948 said:
What is the name of your state? We live in Ohio.
I haven't seen this question. I now have a 24 year old son who opened a checking acct. (about 2 years ago) and TOTALLY mismanaged it. Bounced checksall the time. I think he still owes the bank about $120.00 in late fees. They sent him a letter saying that and that he can't have a checking account for 7 years. His new employer wants to direct-deposit his pay check into his acct. Any way for a stupid kid who made a dumb mistake to get a checking acct? I think he learned his leason.:D
First of all, Enasni is correct. Your son was not a minor when this occurred.

Second, fairisfair is correct that your son's employer should have some alternatives set up for people in your son's situation who are on Chex Systems (probably) and can't open an account for FIVE years (not 7). Some employers WILL issue a check if there is no other option. However, please, please, please, do not follow fairisfair's other suggestion. It could lead to HUGE problems including having the deposit reject if the name is mismatched, no recourse if there are reversals that need to be done to correct errors, or having the account holder steal your son's money. This is very bad advice and I urge you to not follow it.

One last possible option is to find a bank that doesn't use Chex or find one of the programs on the internet that can help your son to get off of Chex. Just Google the phrase Chex Systems and a lot of information will come up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">