• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mother on fixed income paying deceased husbands credit card at 25% interest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

helenandsassy1

What is the name of your state?california
My mother has continued to use a household bankcard that she and my father had for the past 8 years since his death. She never told them he was deceased. She is living on SS. Her interest rate is 25%. SHe has asked them to lower it in the past and they refused. SHe has always paid the minimum on time but having trouble paying the $240 month. SHould she close the account or ask again for lower payment? She uses the card minimally and has no other assets and no other debts. Lives in gov't subsidized apt.

Last edited:

djohnson

She is joint on the card, she is using the card. It doesn't matter that he is deceased unless there was some sort of insurance on it that she could have applied for. She is still responsible. Chances are as long as she is current they will not offer her anything lower to pay. Why would they when they just keep making money. It's when you are past due and they think they are going to lose that they are willing to work more, then all may not, and it's still a lot to pay. The best advice is for you to take the card and cut it up so she doesn't over spend her means. Depending on her personal situation, assets and debts, there could be options but we can't give you everyone. We would need to know where she stands on everything else.

MamaLuna

Most cc co's have a hardship program. They'll freeze the account, it will accrue no interest or fees and she can work towards paying it off.

If it isn't a joint account and she is only an authorized user (this is solely my opinion and what I would do given the circumstances, use it as you see fit!) I would stop paying them. But only if she is an authorized user and NOT joint on the account. They can come after her if she is joint.

Ladynred

The problem with hardship programs is that they won't put you on one until you're at LEAST 3-4 months behind. Even then, its only a 6-12 month plan and if she falters even once, they'll yank her off it.

Your mother is probably judgment proof, so there's nothing they could take from her if she stopped paying.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

MamaLuna said:
Most cc co's have a hardship program. They'll freeze the account, it will accrue no interest or fees and she can work towards paying it off.

If it isn't a joint account and she is only an authorized user (this is solely my opinion and what I would do given the circumstances, use it as you see fit!) I would stop paying them. But only if she is an authorized user and NOT joint on the account. They can come after her if she is joint.

My response:

It doesn't matter if it's a "joint account" or not. She's liable for the debt. This writer, and her mother, are from California. That's a clue. Get one.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">