• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my attorney quit today on me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

desperategal

What is the name of your state? Michigan
I think I have really messed up. I was in the middle of refinancing my home,when a garnishment started from a past failed chapter 13, so i filed a chapter 7. I didnt confess this to either the attorney or the mortgage company which was the biggest mistake of my life. I even submitted a letter from the attorney stating the past chapter 13 was converted to the 7 so it the mortgage company would be happy. and wouldnt you know they both found out and now my attorney is trying to withdraw from my case (which will mosts likely make them dismiss me) and that will not be good.....help, any advice would be helpful. the mortgage company wants me to wait until i get this worked out to even talk to me again

M

myty

Your attorney is mad because you didn't tell him about the failed 13 or that you were in the midst of trying to refinance your house while filing a 7? Why did you hide it from your attorney? Were you trying to get the money from your home in hope of not having to disclose it to him so that it wouldn't become part of the BK estate or possibly just thrwart your plans all together? Next, the mortgage company thought you actually converted to a 7 leaving no debt? Wow! Your are in a real jam. Perhaps you should seek another attorney and just be straight forward or maybe you could just throw yourself on his mercy and beg him for forgiveness of the fact you deceived him. I don't know if that would work because especially if you have already thrown him a curve ball. It is kind of hard when the trust has been broken. I don't believe attorneys really care one way or the other if your guilty/innocent, sorry or not, liar or not. The bottom line is you hired him to do a job for you and he needs all the facts, dirt, crime etc. out on the table so he can build a strategy and apply the law the best way he sees fit. Misrepresentation or miscommunication only creates problems. I am not an attorney but no one regardless of their profession wants to be hit with a bunch of surprises. Hopefully, some of the others who have more knowledge in this area will respond and perhaps even some of the attorneys can suggest what you should do. I am stuck because it doesnt seem like much of a legal question your needing help with. Maybe someone else can give some more input as to get out of this. Also, did you write the letter yourself as if it were from your attorney to the mortgage company!! Good luck.

p.s. If I appeared judgemental or as if I were trying to lecture you, I apologize as that was not my intention. God knows i have made my share of bad decisions. Hang in there.

Last edited:
D

desperategal

the attorney filed the motion to quit, which i assume will go through. the mortgage company thought that the 7 was from awhile ago, so the letter i wrote would have confirmed that, however it wasnt correct, i recently filed the 7 after a failed 13. The attorney is mad because i wrote a letter from her office that she never allowed. and the mortgage refi fell through for the same reason. now i have to wait to see if the chap 7 still goes through or not as a result of the dilema. there isnt any money in the refi to worry about with the chap 7. so that isnt the problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">