• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My son is a loser

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

helpless_CA

What is the name of your state? CA

This is not a joke. It is truely embarrassing for me to post this here.

I'm a 67 year old father with a 31 year old son, John (a drug addict), still living with me. Without my knowledge, John used my name to open a cell phone account about six months ago and rang up more than $1400 in phone bill in less than 3 months. I didn't find out about this until 2 months ago when my son forgot to throw away the bill. I immediately called the company and told them I was not responsible for the account and they should bill John instead. The company told me that since John lives with me, they don't consider this a fraudulent account and I'm held 100% liable for it.

Can the company really do this? I already filed a police report and told them about John. Nevertheless, I don't want to press charge against him since John was in jail before for theft and assault. If he gets lock up again, it might be a while before he could get out.
Furthermore, the police investigator told me it is extremely difficult to prosecute John since we are related and this type of cases are very common. I totally don't know what to do. John had stolen my money and credit cards many times before. I kicked John out of the house numerous times but he managed to come back everytime.........by picking the locks, climbing the windows, breaking the doors,etc. I'm extremely stressed and tired. Please help! Thanks.

J

juicysaunders

Where I am located and to the best of my knowledge, the police report along with a notarized letter from you stating the account was fraudulent should suffice to get the bill out of your name. The company will not legally be able to switch it to your son's name right away or maybe even not at all, but that is not your problem. All you have to do is prove that you are not responsible. It is not your job to answer for them what they are supposed to do with the bill as it was a fraudulent account, and you cannot be held responsible. They may just have to cut their losses on this one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">