• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

negotiating payoff for NON-DELINQUENT debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

svsv

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OR

I have 100k in credit card debt. Yes really. I just sold a house and can now payoff much of it. Although it's been a struggle, I am current on everything. I know if you are behind, but can pay off the balance, CC companys will negotiate maybe 30-50% of the balance. Does anyone know if they will negotiate down for people who AREN'T behind? Kind of frustrating knowing that if I was a deadbeat I could get a 50% discount.

JETX

Does anyone know if they will negotiate down for people who AREN'T behind? Kind of frustrating knowing that if I was a deadbeat I could get a 50% discount.
Very simple.... there is NO WAY that they would 'discount' the money you took from them to use.... just for your 'convenience'.

svsv

Wow. Obama's "fake" birth couldn't get him a drivers license or passport even though it probably already got him both years ago. And I "took" money from a credit card companies even though i've been paying them interest for that money.

Thanks for your intelligent and insightful comments.

It's tough to get creditors to negotiate settlements when you always pay on time. Why? Because they have no incentive. From their perspective, there's no problem that needs fixing. They're taking the chance that if they say no to the settlement, you'll continue to pay on time as always.

When you're delinquent, however, they have a problem. You may never pay again, and even if they sue you, you may be judgment proof or you may file for bankruptcy. Under those circumstances, creditors are more apt to cut their losses and settle while they have the chance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">