• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NSF Fees & Debit Cards

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

captiva2004

What is the name of your state? Maryland

Does anyone else think this is outrageous. . . Monday morning after 9am you check your bank account online and all looks good. Saturday and Sunday you used your debit card to buy a few things, and yup, they are showing up accurately. All is good.

But wait, now it is Tuesday. You forgot about a check you wrote 6 weeks ago. The bank now shows the check coming in on SATURDAY and so they bounce ALL your debit card transactions from Saturday and Sunday.

If they knew I bounced a check on Saturday, why did they let me use my card?? Certainly those transactions could have been declined which would have made me run to the bank to see what was wrong.

I KNOW banks have that tiny print that allows them to reorder checks and withdrawals how ever they darn well please. I KNOW we should not make stupid mistakes in our checkbooks. But they ARE the bank. THEY should not be allowed to put a check BEFORE electronic transcations THEY let me take. And mind you, these days most transactions are posted immediately.

I would LOVE for someone to make the banks stop this incredibly unfair practice.

Veronica1228

captiva2004 said:
What is the name of your state? Maryland

Does anyone else think this is outrageous. . . Monday morning after 9am you check your bank account online and all looks good. Saturday and Sunday you used your debit card to buy a few things, and yup, they are showing up accurately. All is good.

But wait, now it is Tuesday. You forgot about a check you wrote 6 weeks ago. The bank now shows the check coming in on SATURDAY and so they bounce ALL your debit card transactions from Saturday and Sunday.

If they knew I bounced a check on Saturday, why did they let me use my card?? Certainly those transactions could have been declined which would have made me run to the bank to see what was wrong.

I KNOW banks have that tiny print that allows them to reorder checks and withdrawals how ever they darn well please. I KNOW we should not make stupid mistakes in our checkbooks. But they ARE the bank. THEY should not be allowed to put a check BEFORE electronic transcations THEY let me take. And mind you, these days most transactions are posted immediately.

I would LOVE for someone to make the banks stop this incredibly unfair practice.
First of all, if a check came through on a Saturday, it must have been a check you wrote to someone whe either deposited into their account at the same bank, or went into a branch and cashed it. Otherwise there would be no other explanation. You see Saturday is a non-business day, and no items can post to your account on that day. This is why it didn't show up on your account until today.

If is YOUR responsibility to balance your checkbook, not the bank's. It is not an unfair practice to post items to your account on business days only. They cannot transact items if the Fed Reserve is closed. Even if they are the drawing bank and the BOFD.

Sorry, but the overdraft is your fault.

captiva2004

Batgirl. Read carefully. I did admit it was my mistake. You do not know as much as you think you do about banking. The opinions expressed on this site a joke. Based on no real knowledge. Just opinions and we all have those. I'm outta here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">