• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

One of two banks lost my money, both blame the other...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ChexWithRaisins

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ga.

I have a BOA account. I was sent $480 through Mobile Billpay to my mobile phone number from another BOA account holder (2 1/2 months ago). Money never arrived. I find out that my phone number was also associated with an old Wells Fargo account that I never used and had been closed due to inactivity years ago. Both banks said the money would be in limbo and then returned to the sender after a certain period (this was two months ago). Follow ups with both banks result in them pointing fingers at each other and assuring me there is nothing THEY can do. BOA never returned the money to the sender and they claim to have no idea where the money is. Wells Fargo says they never received the money and have no idea where the money is. Wells Fargo told me to call ClearXchange (the payment processor that both banks use for Mobile Bill Pay), only to have ClearXChange to essentially laugh at the idea that they could do anything or provide me with any information and assure me that they do not deal with customers, only banks.

The sender has tried canceling the transaction, but BOA will not do it. BOA told the sender to file a claim and they would return the money once the claim was resolved. They resolved the claim, but did not return the money, saying they did everything as they were supposed to.

What am I supposed to do to get my money?

Chyvan

What am I supposed to do to get my money?
You get your money from the sender. It's no different than if I mail a check and the payee never receives it. I still owe the payee the money, and finding out went wrong with the original payment is my problem.

How do you know the sender actually sent it?

ChexWithRaisins

You get your money from the sender. It's no different than if I mail a check and the payee never receives it. I still owe the payee the money, and finding out went wrong with the original payment is my problem.

How do you know the sender actually sent it?
Well, the sender sent me a screen shot of the transaction with the transaction id, date, and amount. Yea, he said he was willing to just resend the money and take the loss on his end, but it just seems wrong that either of us should be out of money on this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">