• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Open Credit Card for BoyFriend in Jail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Cykasu

I opened a Credit card acct for My Boyfriend while he was in jail and he was fully awear and gave me his Social Security number to do it. It was mainly to help me out while he was in jail and to pay me back for Money he owed me. My Question is can I be held liable for the Balance on the card because I opened it for him?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Well, if you opened it in his name, did you put your name on it as an authorized user? Or is just him? Did he sign anything saying this credit card was like payment for money he owes you?

Even if you aren't on the card, he can probably sue you once he gets out (if he wants to -- i.e. card wasn't repayment but merely you borrowing from him).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">