• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"A Paper Credit" rcvd. notice of "unpaid loan" (that was paid) 30 YEARS later

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gwCA

I paid off a nursing student loan in 1973 at Morris Harvey College in Charleston, WVA. Over the last 30 years I have owned numerous properties, maintatined all lines of credit, filed taxes, continuously employed..etc. I received a letter from a debt collection co., on March 14, 2001, stating I owe $1800 on the loan. I have never been contacted by anyone until now. I have impecable credit and wondering how I can defend myself leagally. I have and presently do resided in CA for the past 12 years. I do not have records from 30 years ago. Nor do I know what bank I had or if they are even in business. How do I prove this w/o being bullied into paying for something I paid for 30 years ago? I am worried this will go on my credit report and during the past 35 years of having credit I have never been late or defaulted in paying anything.
Any advice? I am losing sleep.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

gwCA said:
I paid off a nursing student loan in 1973 at Morris Harvey College in Charleston, WVA. Over the last 30 years I have owned numerous properties, maintatined all lines of credit, filed taxes, continuously employed..etc. I received a letter from a debt collection co., on March 14, 2001, stating I owe $1800 on the loan. I have never been contacted by anyone until now. I have impecable credit and wondering how I can defend myself leagally. I have and presently do resided in CA for the past 12 years. I do not have records from 30 years ago. Nor do I know what bank I had or if they are even in business. How do I prove this w/o being bullied into paying for something I paid for 30 years ago? I am worried this will go on my credit report and during the past 35 years of having credit I have never been late or defaulted in paying anything.
Any advice? I am losing sleep.

My response:

To further demonstrate just how old this debt is, President Richard M. Nixon was in Office, the price of a gallon of gasoline shot up to $1.00 due to the Arab Oil Embargo, and the United States Supreme Court had just decided "Roe vs. Wade".

First read this site completely, and don't skip a word:

http://www.carreonandassociates.com/sl.htm

Next, contact a "contracts" attorney and discuss "Laches" (la-cheese), along with all of your other defenses. Then, have the attorney write a scathing letter to the collection agency.

IAAL

[Edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE on 03-25-2001 at 03:13 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">