• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal financial info on a postcard...?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FLMommy

What is the name of your state? FL

Ok, hope this is the right place to post this thread, feel free to move it if it needs to go somewhere else.

We've been receiving quite a bit of mail from mortgage companies claiming they can give us a better mortgage (really a bunch of bogus, unless we want to have a 100 yr mortgage...), blah blah. The other day we received a postcard, with our original mortgage amount on it, from one of these never heard of companies.

Can they do that? Send you a postcard with your financial information on it, for the whole world to see what we payed for our house/property? Just curious.

We called them, told them to take us off their mailing list, and said we were pissed off that they put stuff like that on a postcard (rather than in an envelope).

Last edited:

seniorjudge

FLMommy said:
What is the name of your state? FL

Ok, hope this is the right place to post this thread, feel free to move it if it needs to go somewhere else.

We've been receiving quite a bit of mail from mortgage companies claiming they can give us a better mortgage (really a bunch of bogus, unless we want to have a 100 yr mortgage...), blah blah. The other day we received a postcard, with our original mortgage amount on it, from one of these never heard of companies.

Can they do that? Send you a postcard with your financial information on it, for the whole world to see? Just curious.

We called them, told them to take us off their mailing list, and said we were pissed off that they put stuff like that on a postcard (rather than in an envelope).

Q: Can they do that? Send you a postcard with your financial information on it, for the whole world to see?

A: Yes, they can and they did. Actually, that is public info. It's down at the courthouse for everyone to see. They did nothing illegal. Stupid? Yes. Illegal? No.

FLMommy

SJ: Yeah, I know anyone can find it in Public Records... but hey, you can find anything that way, even socials... but no one goes around sending those around on postcards... I hope. I think it's ridiculous and it should be illegal.
Anyways, thanks for your answer. !

seniorjudge

FLMommy said:
SJ: Yeah, I know anyone can find it in Public Records... but hey, you can find anything that way, even socials... but no one goes around sending those around on postcards... I hope. I think it's ridiculous and it should be illegal.
Anyways, thanks for your answer. !
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."

- Mark Twain, A Biography

I doubt that you could convince Congress to pass a law making it illegal to put public information on a post card.

Even Congress has its limits...I think....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">