• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Post dated checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

slautrs

I post dated a check, in which the credit union cleared early. 2 questions: Is it, now, illegal to post date a check (payee agreed to)? This credit union says "I shouldn't post date a check". Like it is illegal or something!
Legally, can a bank clear that check before the date? This credit union says they process to many checks to look at dates, so it isn't thier mistake and now is charging me for bouncing other checks that would have been covered, if that check hadn't cleared before date that was written!
Please let me know, asap. THanks!

HomeGuru

slautrs said:
I post dated a check, in which the credit union cleared early. 2 questions: Is it, now, illegal to post date a check (payee agreed to)? This credit union says "I shouldn't post date a check". Like it is illegal or something!
Legally, can a bank clear that check before the date? This credit union says they process to many checks to look at dates, so it isn't thier mistake and now is charging me for bouncing other checks that would have been covered, if that check hadn't cleared before date that was written!

**A: what was your specifc reason for postdating?

Veronica1228

slautrs said:
No, it is not illegal to post date checks, but banks discourage it for this very reason. I believe if you check your bank disclosures, which you can pick up in their lobby, you will see that it addresses the subject of post dated checks. In the bank's view, if you issue a check today it is payable today and they are not liable for cashing it before the date written on the check.

You are liable for the fees.

T

Trucking Mad

Oh My!

HomeGuru said:
**A: what was your specifc reason for postdating?
:cool: I would think the reason for postdating the check was clearly stated in a less obvious way as to the check BOUNCED!:rolleyes:

T

Trucking Mad

Check this out!

slautrs said:
:cool: Unfortunately for you the bank is correct in their process. Credit Unions, Banks, Credtit Card Co., Etc. for the most part are willing to work with you to satisfy the debt obligation you have with them, including changing the date of your monthly pymt ( which typically includes an one time charge in itself.)
Talk to the manager about this!:cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">