• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is Post Dating a Check Illegal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

llamaem

State: Georgia

I got a call from my landlord today complaining that my rent check was post dated, and that I needed to send a new one ASAP. I have done so, but my confusion is that she said that post dating a check is illegal. I don't see how this could be true, so I thought I'd run it by this board and see if my instinct is right and that she's just trying to scare me.

I did not purposely post date anything. She didn't tell me the date I had written, but I would guess that I had combined the month the rent was due (February) and the day I wrote the check (the 27th) to create a whole new date. Oops.

Also, she made it clear that my checks are to be dated the date rent is due every month. Technically speaking, because I mail my check in, isn't this post dating it?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Litigation!

llamaem said:
State: Georgia

I got a call from my landlord today complaining that my rent check was post dated, and that I needed to send a new one ASAP. I have done so, but my confusion is that she said that post dating a check is illegal. I don't see how this could be true, so I thought I'd run it by this board and see if my instinct is right and that she's just trying to scare me.

I did not purposely post date anything. She didn't tell me the date I had written, but I would guess that I had combined the month the rent was due (February) and the day I wrote the check (the 27th) to create a whole new date. Oops.

Also, she made it clear that my checks are to be dated the date rent is due every month. Technically speaking, because I mail my check in, isn't this post dating it?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

My response:

First of all, postdating a check is not "illegal." However, if you read the Uniform Commercial Code, a bank will take a check regardless of the date. So, if you've postdated a check, and the payee cashes the check, that's the date the funds will be taken from your account - - or if there are insufficient funds, then you'll be in hot soup. And no, it's no longer a defense to the principle amount and the INF fees to say, "Well, it was postdated!" Sorry, Charlie, but you'd be on the hook for those fees.

It's not like the good ol' days.

Secondly, "mailing" a payment on a bill is a "convenience". It's no longer a good defense to say that you placed the amount owing in the mail on the due date. If the amount doesn't reach the creditor by the date due, again, you're on the hook. The law requires you to place the money in the hand of the creditor, and mailing is merely a convenience for which you take your chances.

IAAL

llamaem

Clarification

This dosen't actually change anything, but for the record I had the funds, and had intended the check to be cashed on the 1st. I just had a brain fart when writing the date. :)

weenor said:
Kelly go away****************************..
You tried that yesterday, remember? You were and are still wrong. I am NOT Kelly. Pay close attention here. Cissycicle is NOT the same as Cissy10.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">