• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

questions regarding taxes from an expat

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lowead

Hello

I Live outside the US and I want to come to vacation in the US but am afraid I may be arrested at the airport for a variety of reasons. Here is my story:
I was born in the US and lived there til I was 4 and then my parents divorced and my dad took me back to his native country. Even though I occasionally visited, mostly in the summers, only in my 20's did I spend a few years again in the US as a student (although I absolutely did not live here, cause in my summer and Christmas breaks I went home). I was not in the US for last 15 years.
Why am I afraid I my get arrested?
First, I have a unpaid student loans. In the first 6 years I paid them but then I had bad luck and I actually lived on the streets in my native country for some time. So I was literally unable to keep paying.
2nd, I NEVER filed taxes. Even when I lived there – I simply didn't know I needed to. I assumed, that since I lived in a different country than I pay taxes only to that country (like most people who are in my situation think).
Third, when I left the US the last time, in 2002, only when I was boarding the plane the clerk noticed that my US passport was expired. But the day was saved cause I could board the plane with my foreign passport.

Can I be arrested at the airport for any of the above reasons when I land?

Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">