• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Received a case settlement postcard

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenssey

It's Real!!!

I called around quite a bit.

I found out that this is a REAL case. It takes place here:

C. Clyde Atkins United States Courthouse
301 North Miami Avenue
Miami, FL 33128
(305) 523-5100

Case number: 1:2010cv23235

The clerk's office confirmed the case and that Kardonick is indeed filing against Chase.

It took me the FTC and the ABA then the internet. Odd that this person doesn't have an office, or that the PO Box for this is Philadelphia but the case is taking place in Southern Florida.

Lplines

Thank you all so much for the information (about keeping myself safe) and investigating (online and making calls). I very much appreciate it (I'm sure others do too)!

District

Thank you for all the advice, I have decided not to go ahead with associating myself with the Lawsuit in fear of identity theft and other fraud.

cosine

I called around quite a bit.

I found out that this is a REAL case. It takes place here:

C. Clyde Atkins United States Courthouse
301 North Miami Avenue
Miami, FL 33128
(305) 523-5100

Case number: 1:2010cv23235

The clerk's office confirmed the case and that Kardonick is indeed filing against Chase.

It took me the FTC and the ABA then the internet. Odd that this person doesn't have an office, or that the PO Box for this is Philadelphia but the case is taking place in Southern Florida.
So how do we know that this is not a case of a scammer that discovered the case in Florida, lifted the name of the plaintiff attorney, and set up a scam operation in Philadelphia? Did your research show the PO Box in Philly as part of the filing in Florida (e.g. following the chain of trust)?

Just because Kardonick is real, and really filing against Chase, does NOT mean that someone cannot discover the case and pretend to be a part of the case by using the same name(s) and use that to collect info. YOU could even do that based on what research you appear to have done. And at this point I do not know that you aren't a scammer.

A URL that actually goes to a government/court domain name that provides information that connects back to the PO Box in Philly would be a likely path of trust. It is possible that the government/court website could be infiltrated and provide false info, but at least then it would be the government/court to blame for improper website operation (e.g. failure to be secure enough to prevent altered information).

Do you have such a URL?

If the case document lists Heffler, Radetich & Saitta as the attorneys, and if you have called this attorney office and they have stated they are operating the kardonicksettlement.com website, then that is good enough ... for you. I don't know YOU, so I don't know that they really are just because YOU say so. If I wanted to be in this class, I'd have to find out for myself in a trustable way that HRS are the attorneys of record, and call them MYself. Statements by new posters with only 2 posts so far doesn't cut it for me (I work in data/network security).

Troyjoy

Just because Kardonick is real, and really filing against Chase, does NOT mean that someone cannot discover the case and pretend to be a part of the case by using the same name(s) and use that to collect info.
That's my main concern, especially in view of the recent Epsilon breach. Three other key alarm points:
  • data entry page is not httpS
  • Despite request for private data, no Privacy Policy offered; and why should they need that particular info for this purpose anyway? And, if they do need it, they should explain why it's needed.
  • The Kardonick case is not listed among the cases on the seemingly legit website of the firm Heffler et al (http://www.hrsclaimsadministration.com/cases/]HR&S Claims Administration - Cases)--who, by the way, are not attorneys but CPAs.

Bottom line, I don't see a confidence-inspiring way to warrant joining the class.

Last edited:

Kyrra

It is SSL (https) encrypted now: https://www.kardonicksettlement.com/claim/

But ya, not worth it for me.

Just an FYI: in this instance, you can call the postmaster of the PO box .. they would be required to give out the address the PO box is attached to. As long as $$$ is involved, the domestic mail manual requires disclosure if requested.

You may have to tell the postmaster the DMM section so he can look it up -- its not often requested.

divona2000

...you can call the postmaster of the PO box .. they would be required to give out the address the PO box is attached to....You may have to tell the postmaster the DMM section so he can look it up -- its not often requested.
Are you refering to "Post Office boxholder information. Information from PS Form 1093"?
Might take more than 'a call'...

(4) Post Office boxholder information...names or addresses of Postal Service customers will be furnished only...

(ii) To a person empowered by law to serve legal process, or the attorney for a party in whose behalf service will be made, or a party who is acting pro se, upon receipt of written information that specifically includes all of the following:

(A) A certification that the name or address is needed and will be used solely for service of legal process in connection with actual or prospective litigation;

(B) a citation to the statute or regulation that empowers the requester to serve process, if the requester is other than the attorney for a party in whose behalf service will be made, or a party who is acting pro se;

(C) the names of all known parties to the litigation;

(D) the court in which the case has been or will be commenced;

(E) the docket or other identifying number, if one has been issued; and

(F) the capacity in which the boxholder is to be served, e.g., defendant or witness.

By submitting such information, the requester certifies that it is true. The address of an individual who files with the postmaster a copy of a protective court order will not be disclosed...
(and so forth)

Title 39 - Postal Service
Justia :: 39 C.F.R. §265.6Availability of records.

coalminerswife

chase fraud protection card in mail

I also received this card to go to the website of Kardonicksettlement.com and when I tried my Webroot blocked this site as malicious so I did not continue, was concerned not legit. Glad I checked it out with the forum.

postdreams77

They ask for your date of birth, last 4 digits of your SSN, and last 4 digits of your credit card. Anyone find these requirements to be phishing?
I would definitely be cautious, but at the same time, those are the typical identity verification things that all companies ask for when you call. But with all of the realistic-sounding scams out there, I would definitely be cautious!

Tayla

Thank you for all the advice, I have decided not to go ahead with associating myself with the Lawsuit in fear of identity theft and other fraud.
Your mentality is what the opposing council is hedging their bets on, that so few will apply to get their fair share that CHASE will not have to pay out too much. Ohh how the Fraud fear has worked in their favor.

The action suit is legitimate , so why not be a pro active consumer instead of sitting about allowing Big business to delegate how they get your money.

JFreeB

Paranoid, indeed. The amount of the settlement depends, in part, on how many claims are submitted. So, feel free to NOT apply.

However, I filled out the form (https with HR&S) using the code from the card and only the last 4 digits from the account #, at first with one digit off. It returned a 'does not match our records' message. With the correct #, the form auto filled my last 4 of my SocSec #. Of course, it already had my address.

Then it went on to ask a couple of questions that were relevant only to the lawsuit. Good enough for me.

jayomite

Thanks

Thanks for the excellent advice on avoiding identity theft. I decided not to file due to phishing concerns.

There shouldn't be any reason why they need to ask for your last 4 of social security and birth date to verify they sent you a post card. Your name and a Unique ID from the post card should be enough. They are asking for way more information than they have proven to you they have (your name and address).

If it is a phishing scam, they probably have your name, address, and last 4 of credit card #. The date of birth and last 4 of social is probably information that they want from you. The same trick can be played to get your mother's maiden name or other information that can be used to steal your identity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">