• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Received a case settlement postcard

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiddlefaddle

I'm unsure what to do on this situation.
I received a postcard about a proposed class action settlement involving Chase bank. I was enrolled in their "Payment Protection" program and was not disclosed on the fees and it took me another month just to un-enroll and my sign up date falls under the disclosed date, so this does pertain to me.
How do I find out if this is a legitimate class action suit?

The postcard directs me to file my claim by mailing them or filing it online at: KardonickSettlement.com - Home

Here is the link to the .pdf of the postcard:
http://kardonicksettlement.com/documents/de-16_4-notice-(postcard).pdf

Here is what it reads on the postcard (Copied from .pdf):
TO CHASE CREDIT CARD HOLDERS WHO WERE ENROLLED IN A PAYMENT PROTECTION PRODUCT
BETWEEN SEPTEMBER 1, 2004 AND NOVEMBER 11, 2010
You may be entitled to a payment under a proposed class action settlement. In a lawsuit entitled Kardonick
v. JPMorgan Chase & Co., Case No. 10-cv-23235 (S.D. Fla.), the Plaintiffs allege that Chase’s credit card business
engaged in breaches of contract, unfair and deceptive practices, and other wrongdoing in connection with
“payment protection” products—products that offer relief from credit card debt under circumstances such as
unemployment, disability or death. Chase denies these allegations and denies any wrongdoing.
Chase’s records indicate that you are probably a member of the settlement class because you were enrolled
in a payment protection product on a Chase-issued credit card at some time between 9/1/2004 and 11/11/2010.
Class members may (1) file a claim for money from the settlement, (2) exclude themselves from the settlement,
or (3) object to the settlement. To file a claim, go to www.KardonickSettlement.com or write to the Kardonick
Settlement Administrator at the address below. If the settlement is approved, estimated claims payments will
be between $15 and $60, before administration costs, attorney fees, and legal expenses. You cannot receive a
payment unless your claim is received by 8/8/2011.
If you want to exclude yourself from the settlement (and receive no money from the settlement), the Kardonick
Settlement Administrator must receive your request for exclusion no later than 8/19/2011 at the address below.
If the settlement is approved, all class members who do not exclude themselves will give up any right to sue
Chase or related parties for any known or unknown claims relating to payment protection products, as more
fully described in the settlement. If you think the Court should reject the settlement, you or your attorney may
send a written objection to: U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida, 400 North Miami Ave., Miami,
FL 33128. Objections must be received no later than 8/19/2011. Objectors who send in timely objections may
speak about the settlement in Court at a hearing currently scheduled for 9/9/2011. To obtain the full instructions
for excluding yourself or filing an objection, go to www.KardonickSettlement.com or write the Kardonick
Settlement Administrator at the address below.
This is only a summary of the settlement and your rights. To obtain the full class notice or for more information,
go to www.KardonickSettlement.com or write to Kardonick Settlement Administrator, P.O. Box 280, Philadelphia,
PA 19105-0280. DO NOT CALL THE COURT, CHASE OR CHASE’S COUNSEL REGARDING THIS NOTICE.
Questions? Call toll-free 800-220-2204 or visit KardonickSettlement.com - Home

sandyclaus

Simple. Contact the attorney who is representing the class as indicated on the postcard. I'm sure that they can provide you the proof that you require.

beibcakes

Same Postcard

I got the same thing in the mail. Here's a link to the Florida courts system that may help you decide.
Contract Cases filed in Florida matching "Chase Bank" :: Justia Dockets & Filings

Also, how would the plaintiff's attorney have this information without a Chase subpoena? It could be stolen information. I am going to file, but if the questions get too personal (bank account, phone, etc.), I'll do nothing and see what happens. According to what's written in the postcard, you're part of the settlement if you do nothing. If it's legit, then you'll be able to make a claim if/when it's won. :D

beibcakes

Status of Website

They ask for your date of birth, last 4 digits of your SSN, and last 4 digits of your credit card. Anyone find these requirements to be phishing?

KimberlyAsking

Kardonick Settlement Class action...

I, too, find this a bit disturbing, especially since last week I received notification from several credit card companies (including Chase) that the company that oversees their customers' data (name, address, date of birth) was compromised.

I find it interesting that when I type in the last four of my credit card, my name and address autopopulates, which anyone who had access to the compromised data could set up to occur. I started the process but will not finish it until I can confirm this is legit. Unfortunately, anyone can get a 1-800 number (as is listed on the postcard). I'll check through the state AG office in PA.

cosine

They ask for your date of birth, last 4 digits of your SSN, and last 4 digits of your credit card. Anyone find these requirements to be phishing?
A legitimate class action would need to know what the Chase account involved is. If Chase didn't issue separate account numbers and only used the CC number, then that's all that can be used to identify the account.

But that is also way too convenient for a phishing attack to use.

Visit the state court site (start at the main state site, not at any URL given by the postcard or their attorneys) first to establish a root of trust and find out who the appropriate attorneys are. Ignore the "do not call the court" request. If you can't get the info from the web, call the court. If the court clerks says you should not have called, then ask who should be called to report the phishing scam (you don't know, yet, if it is, but assume it is until trusted proof says otherwise).

Kyrra

I did a little poking around and found these documents:

http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/florida/flsdce/1:2010cv23235/364631/25/
http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/florida/flsdce/1:2010cv23235/364631/12/
http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/florida/flsdce/1:2010cv23235/364631/17/

They all seem to be filing around this case. It makes it seem a little more legit, but I'm still not 100% convinced.

KJanz

Call Chase Directly

I called the number on the back of my chase credit card. I simply stated my concerns to the lady from chase and she provided me with a number to call (1-888-878-1991), which gives a detailed summary concerning the class action lawsuit. I encourage everyone who received the postcard to call chase directly, get the number for yourself, call it and then decide what you want to do next.

At the end of the call (#1-888-878-1991) if you press 1 you can leave your name, address and a brief explanation of your call so they can better assist you (ie. send you more information).

Hope this helps,
KJanz

Last edited:

fallingfaceup

I don't think it is legit!

I went to the website and found the questions they were asking to be filled out odd so I googled the number and found this:

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-877-220-2204

This is an 877 number whereas the one on the back of the post card (and on their website - which is strange that it goes specifically to that fill form and doesn't have much else to the website - if it was a firm they would have more details about the firm) is an 800 number. However, why take a chance for $15 - $60. I am not going to.

cosine

I went to the website and found the questions they were asking to be filled out odd so I googled the number and found this:

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-877-220-2204

This is an 877 number whereas the one on the back of the post card (and on their website - which is strange that it goes specifically to that fill form and doesn't have much else to the website - if it was a firm they would have more details about the firm) is an 800 number. However, why take a chance for $15 - $60. I am not going to.
Many words are spoken in this forum about not bothering to pursue small amounts where the costs to do so are large. These days the risks of identity theft are high, both in chance and in damage. I'd agree that for even as much as a few hundred, it's not worth it. It will depend on the individual and their financial situation, of course. But I would balance the cost of due diligence against the gains that could be made.

One thing along these lines that still causes me great concern is that entities like law firms and banks are still completely out of tune with the identity theft risks. I recall the case of a work colleague who got a call from his bank to verify a CC charge made by his wife who was traveling. I happened to overhear it and before he was able to answer, I pointed out to him that he had no chain of trust in this call. He immediately stopped and realized that. But the bank was fully expecting him to just answer. It really was his bank, but he didn't have a way to know that. He called his bank at the number he knew to be his bank and spoke with someone there. That person took care of confirming the transaction, but could not understand why my colleague didn't just give the information to the caller. Until banks and other businesses get in tune with the issues related to identity theft, and operate within the procedures and processes that actually are safe, they effectively are encouraging people to do things that put themselves at greater risk.

Becky4651

Kardonick postcard

I also received a postcard..... I nearly fell over in laughter...$15-$60 as payment before admin. cost, attourney fees and legal expenses.... if we join sounds like we could owe money!!!! I say no thanks to making them rich on our misery!!!

chocoboblue99

Thanks but no thanks!

I got the postcard today. Yeah, I remember having the protection program, but I actually never agreed to starting it. I only agreed to getting the chase credit card, and I think what happened was when I got the credit card I got that protection program along with it.

I don't agree with the claim, I remember when I first learned that I had the protection program, I quickly call the number they had to cancel it and I got rig of it quick. It wasn't hard to do that at, took like 3 mins to cancel it. I don't know why the claim said that people couldn't get out of the protection program, I remember it said you can cancel anytime. So I did.

Anyways, I'm not risking being a identity theft victim for $15 to $60 before fees. With the info I am giving out, they can do so many things to me. Like call up many different places and get more info or get even more access to different accounts and emails from me. That's so stupid!

Thanks but no thanks!

MalMilling

I got the postcard today. Yeah, I remember having the protection program, but I actually never agreed to starting it. I only agreed to getting the chase credit card, and I think what happened was when I got the credit card I got that protection program along with it.

I don't agree with the claim, I remember when I first learned that I had the protection program, I quickly call the number they had to cancel it and I got rig of it quick. It wasn't hard to do that at, took like 3 mins to cancel it. I don't know why the claim said that people couldn't get out of the protection program, I remember it said you can cancel anytime. So I did.

Anyways, I'm not risking being a identity theft victim for $15 to $60 before fees. With the info I am giving out, they can do so many things to me. Like call up many different places and get more info or get even more access to different accounts and emails from me. That's so stupid!

Thanks but no thanks!
I too never signed up for the protection program, but when I called to cancel it did not get cancelled. I've tried again a few times, but my experience with chase has been horrible and time consuming.

As for the postcard, it doesn't even seem worth the time I've spent researching it today.

Lplines

I received the postcard this weekend and now I feel like a dummy because I actually thought it was harmless and filled out the info online and submitted it. What should I do to protect myself further just in case it is a scam of some sort? I knew I should have looked into it before I did anything. Any information anyone can share with me would be appreciated. It doesn't seem like anyone has been able to identify whether this postcard is legit or not.

fallingfaceup

What to do if you filled out the form:

I received the postcard this weekend and now I feel like a dummy because I actually thought it was harmless and filled out the info online and submitted it. What should I do to protect myself further just in case it is a scam of some sort? I knew I should have looked into it before I did anything. Any information anyone can share with me would be appreciated. It doesn't seem like anyone has been able to identify whether this postcard is legit or not.
Hi there - I would check out this website: Information Compromised - Deter. Detect. Defend. Avoid ID Theft

I would definitely place a fraud alert on your credit reports. I would also consider filing a report with the FTC so they know as well that this may be a potential threat!

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">