• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

received check with wrong payee name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

biglaz

What is the name of your state? WI

I was called the day of to do contract work for a school district (officiate a basketball game). Apparently the guy who was supposed to do this work couldn't, so I was called to fill in. When I recieved payment for my work ($56.00) the check was made out to the guy who I replaced. The school does not want to make out a new check. Can I legally deposit this check, as it's intended for me, just the wrong payee is printed? Or what can I do to get proper payment from the school? :confused:

Thanks! :)

C

-- Cali--G--

ANSWER-

NO! No you cannot deposit this check. Yes, of course there was a mishap, but the school does not pay these things, the school board does. Check with them, they should settle it, but do not cash the check as your name is not printed on it.

I'm still shaking my head.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">