• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Removing name from joint bank account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ricardoumbro

New York City

If we take off my wife's name from a joint account now, would that have any connection to a future default judgment or loss of an ongoing case? The bank said we couldn't just remove her name, we would have to close the account and open a new one.

This is not related to credit card or bank debt, it is related to a debt on a promise-to-pay note to a friend.

Also do any judgement go after credit cards to see if the person was using any money linked to a different account? (Like husbands account, etc?)

Antigone*

New York City

If we take off my wife's name from a joint account now, would that have any connection to a future default judgment or loss of an ongoing case? The bank said we couldn't just remove her name, we would have to close the account and open a new one.

This is not related to credit card or bank debt, it is related to a debt on a promise-to-pay note to a friend.

Also do any judgement go after credit cards to see if the person was using any money linked to a different account? (Like husbands account, etc?)
I will answer your question regarding your bank account. Here is your answer: The bank is right, they will not just remove an accountholder's name.

seniorjudge

DOUBLE POST WARNING...no wait...SEXTUPLE POST WARNING

New York City

You have started SIX threads on this subject.

Keep all your questions in your first thread.

ricardoumbro

Non of them had this question and I thought it would be right to post this in the banking category.
I am sorry, you can delete this topic or merge it with the other one.

PS: I did not start 6 threads on same topic, I only have 6 threads all together and only 2 others were related to this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">