• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Responding to collection letters

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DrTonyMitchell

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I recently received a letter from a collection agency concerning a credit card debit. At the present time, I am trying to complete the work for filing for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. In part, this is because I am not on Social Security (as is my wife) and we have virtually no funds left over after paying the rent and household expenses. We lost the house last year because of our lack of income.

I have seen quite a few letters on the internet that basically say "don't call me about this, conduct all transactions by mail." But is there a document that I can prepare on my own to send to creditors indicating that I do not have the available funds and what funds I have are protected?

Thanks!
Dr. T

FlyingRon

Until you actually file the chapter 7, nothing is protected. You can certainly request (in writing) that they no longer phone you (no matter what you're doing). Any correspondence that doesn't include a check other than that is likely to have no effect.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">