• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

responsible for bills??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JaLee715

What is the name of your state?
Indiana.

My husband passed away in Sept. 2002..... he was D.O.A. for over 1 hr. before arrival at a hospital....but still the hospital racked up over $800 in med. bills that are listed only in HIS name...... I inquired on the amount but never got a response from the hospital & the payment options are ridiculous (no insurance money either).....a friend of mine says I'm not responsible for the bills (hospital & ambulance total over $1,400!!!) ....to send a copy of the death cert. to each with a letter explaining & it will be done with. Is this true???
HELP! Thank you!

K

kevinss

Indiana isn't a community property state so you may have a chance.
What are the charges for? If this is a legit debt because of actual services rendered (regardless of his condition) then you really should pay them.
If they're all soft charges or charges in error, you'll need an attorney to work it all out - doing so on your own would be a monstrous task.

Ladynred

Did you DH have a Will ? Did he leave an estate ? Did anything go through Probate ?? Did he leave any assets at all ?

Debts of the deceased are usually paid out of the estate and handled during Probate. If there was no estate (and, as JetX says, everyone leaves SOMETHING behind), and these bills were ONLY in his name, then you have no real liability beyond what would have been his estate, if any. I'd do as Kevinss advised, seek a Probate attorney and find out what, if anything, you could be liable for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">