• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Return Bounced Check?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JimCummings

What is the name of your state? NJ

I am on retainer with an organziation. Recently, my monthly check bounced and the organization all but shut down. They say they rae having financial difficulties and will reorganize with a replacement checvk in 45 days. They have asked me to return the bounced check. Should I. I wonder, should they go bankrupt, if I might need this to make a claim. Any opinions?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

JimCummings said:
What is the name of your state? NJ

I am on retainer with an organziation. Recently, my monthly check bounced and the organization all but shut down. They say they rae having financial difficulties and will reorganize with a replacement checvk in 45 days. They have asked me to return the bounced check. Should I. I wonder, should they go bankrupt, if I might need this to make a claim. Any opinions?

My response:

DO NOT return the check until you have received cash, or a cashier's check, in exchange for that rubber check. It's your proof of an owed debt.

Further, they probably want the check back so you'll have nothing to turn into the District Attorney's office. Yes, that's right. What they did to you is a criminal offence - - especially the person who wrote and/or signed the check.

Turn the check into the D.A. and let the criminal justice system take care of them.

IAAL

J

JimCummings

Thanx!

Thanx for the porompt and well reasoned answer. Much appreciated.

Jim

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">