• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School wants to access a bank account and the bank says not to let them.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NeedBankAdvice

What is the name of your state? MA

I was the treasurer at my university and had two separate accounts under my control, one on campus and one off campus. The on-campus account was under school control as well, and the off-campus was a personal account with only my name on the account (I tried to get other officers on it, but they wouldn't.)

Well, my duties are over and now the school wants to look over the account which they've never done before, and the problem is that I don't have receipts for the transactions anymore since 1) my bag containing the register was stolen, and 2) the rest of the receipts were shredded by the bank along with everything else in the checkbook. I wasn't aware the school would do this as they haven't done it before. I went to the bank to get a print out of the statements and the Customer Support agent there told me to check with a lawyer as I had no receipts and several reimbursement checks written to myself and others and the dean of student affairs has a grudge against me and I feel he's just looking for something to use against me at ethics committee. He said he's not sure the school has any legal right to look into the account since it's personal account just under my name. I was wondering if it does have any right to look into it, or if my lack of receipts will be the reason I'm suspended at school...which I'm sure is what he's going for. Thanks in advance for any help.

Debt Guy

I think you need a good lawyer right away. This is guaranteed to bite you where it hurts.

Why on earth would you ever put university funds in an account with only your name? Are you begging to be accused and/or prosecuted for embezzelment?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">