• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sears

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lesanjo

What is the name of your state? Louisiana
sears is sueing me for my credit debt but i was unemployed.i justfound a job and i contacted some one to make arrangements to pay.the person told me i would have to do a consent judgemrnt. what does that mean? one more question what type of assets can they put a lean on?

Ladynred

What they're telling you is that since they've already sued you for the debt, that you would have to sign a form consenting to a default judgment (bad news). From that, they could garnish your wages and sieze any non-exempt property to pay the debt. I would try to negotiate with the lawyer suing you if it hasn't already gone to a judgment. You may be able to negotiate payments and avoid the judgment altogether.

They can only place a lien on REAL property - like a house or a car. However, unless you have a lot of equity in the property that would make it valuable enough for them to sell, then a lien wouldn't get them much and they probably wouldn't go for it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">