• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separated but signed a check to a joint account "for deposit only" - file charges??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

oneduckyday

Separated but signed a check to a joint account "for deposit only" - file charges??

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
CA

My husband and I separated less than a month ago. We have a joint account. A check from his school came and I deposited it into our joint account with "For deposit only." Now he is claiming that he is going to file charges against me.

Note - I did transfer most of the money out once it cleared. However, the manner of deposit was as explained above.

If he filed charges, what would happen and if it went to court, how would it look??

tranquility

It wouldn't just "look" like that, it would be theft. As well as any of a number of things. Perhaps a burglary if you walked in the bank with the intent to take the money. Perhaps some bank fraud issues, depending on how things went. Perhaps mail fraud too. It is criminally wrong.

It is also civilly wrong. If a court found you were married enough to still have a fiduciary relationship, it might garner treble damages. But, if a fiduciary relationship, much of the criminal issues may fade away with intent.

So, criminal or three times the money? I wonder....

Silverplum

This whole topic -- by the same poster, whichever name s/he is using :rolleyes: -- was thoroughly discussed in the "Divorce" forum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">