• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims Court Judgments -- Effect on credit rating

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mlyn21

What is the name of your state? California

I owe a company $2600. I have not disputed the debt, and the co. is aware of that. I have not been able to pay them yet, and they have notified me that they have filed for judgment in small claims court. The appearance date is tomorrow. Since I do not dispute the claim, and I am expected to report to work tomorrow, I do not plan to appear in court.

I already know that the judgment will be for me to pay, and I have no problem with that. In fact, I will be able to pay the entire amount owed within about 2 weeks--maybe less.

Question: Will the judgment have a negative affect on my credit rating? (They do not have my social security number; all they have is my full name and address and phone number.)

Thank you!

bigun

A judgement-even if it is paid will show on your credit report for 7 years. If there is any way you can continue the court date until you can pay, you should try. Have you called the lawyer and let them know how close you are to having the full amount? Also, if the lawyer won't budge on the court date, see if they will be willing to vacate the judgement upon payment?

T

tobath

Do it!

I owe a company $2600. I have not disputed the debt, and the co. is aware of that. I have not been able to pay them yet, and they have notified me that they have filed for judgment in small claims court. The appearance date is tomorrow. Since I do not dispute the claim, and I am expected to report to work tomorrow, I do not plan to appear in court.
ans : I'm not in CA........
Hold it! "they have notified you"....... what kinda state is CA? Usually you have to be served properly, not 'notified'..

Surely the company will grant a 2 week extension....comeon, give them something.

Do you realize that you will pay all expenses involved in collecting the judgement and attorney fees?

$2600 today might be $3600 tomorrow. So don't expect for this to go away in two weeks for $2600.

If you are a deadbeat, it is best to allow them a default judgement! Especially if you plan on skipping the state.

I already know that the judgment will be for me to pay, and I have no problem with that. In fact, I will be able to pay the entire amount owed within about 2 weeks--maybe less.
ans: Don't know CA judges but if you appear and convence the judge you have just fallen on bad luck and prove you will have the cash in 2 weeks, he might defer the judgement for two weeks.

Question: Will the judgment have a negative affect on my credit rating? (They do not have my social security number; all they have is my full name and address and phone number.)

ans: The judgement will effect your credit rating ONLY if the plaintiff reports the judgement to the credit companies. If you owe the local taco stand, they might not know to do this. Ha, for 25¢ I can get your SS number! You might be in the clear if you never rented an appartment, worked, had a bank account, paid child support......besides they will have you before a judge in a discovery motion to get it all. You pay for this also.

Out of state TX Opinion only, not legal advise.:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

bigun

Actually, a judgement is a public record. It will make it's way to a database and the next time the CRA's sweep the database, there it'll be. The creditor doesn't have to do a thing.

nailtech

You should call first thing in the morning and have it postpone you should be entitled to at least one postponement...... if they will accept it this late.... that would give you hopefully the two weeks you need to gather the money...

T

tobath

Actually, a judgement is a public record. It will make it's way to a database and the next time the CRA's sweep the database, there it'll be. The creditor doesn't have to do a thing.

Yes the judgement is public record BUT if it is not registered in the county court house, it is very unlikely it will ever be picked up in a JP court's record.

JP courts in Texas usually don't keep searchable data bases.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">