• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Someone stole my debit card and cashed stolen checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bdk4599

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

Someone stole my debit card multiple times and cashed stolen checks, and I gave this person my debit card on occasion, and they cashed stolen checks, without me knowing (because this person did not have their own) , am I going to get in trouble?? im 17, turning 18 in 2 days. I am scared worrying every day, being threatened that they are going to sue me because it was MY account.... this all happened 8 or so months ago.. I try to get the person who actually did this to heed my advice and sort it out, but this person doesn't seem to even care the slightest bit!

Thank you in advance I really appreciate any help!

Last edited:

swalsh411

Have you reported this to your bank and the police? If you're thinking that you can get off the hook for this AND your "friend" will not get in serious (criminal) trouble you are mistaken. I can promise you that both those things will not happen. Either you cover what your "friend" stole, or you report it to the police. The police may say it's a civil issue if you gave your "friend" your PIN, in which case you would need to cover the debts (or your parents I should say) and sue your "friend".

cyjeff

The ONLY way you get off this hook is to give the police and the bank the name of your "friend" that stole your card.

There is no other way.

bdk4599

Thanks for the replys!

The person who had the checks stolen KNOWS who it is, but says i'm connected too since it's my account...

There is no case filed yet and its been 8-12 months since all this happen originally.

Does the longer they wait to make a case make any difference?

Also, since the victim knows who stole the checks (her ex-boyfriend) and she knows the only thing i had to do with it was my account, how badly does this still affect me?

asiny

Thanks for the replys!

The person who had the checks stolen KNOWS who it is, but says i'm connected too since it's my account...

There is no case filed yet and its been 8-12 months since all this happen originally.

Also, since the victim knows who stole the checks (her ex-boyfriend) and she knows the only thing i had to do with it was my account, how badly does this still affect me?
You never reported the crime, are fully aware of a crime committed (using your identification) and could be charged as an accessory.

Just Blue

Thanks for the replys!

It the perp your current BF/hookup/relative?

bdk4599

If I get my brother to not ruin my life, and to tell them I honestly had nothing to do with it.. if he took responsibility, would I be in the clear?

I have no idea whether or not he would do this to me! :(

Hot Topic

If I get my brother to not ruin my life, and to tell them I honestly had nothing to do with it.. if he took responsibility, would I be in the clear?

I have no idea whether or not he would do this to me! :(
If you honestly have no idea whether or not your brother would take responsibility, the honest answer would be no, he would not. I think you know that, and that's why you've allowed so much time to go by.

asiny

If you honestly have no idea whether or not your brother would take responsibility, the honest answer would be no, he would not. I think you know that, and that's why you've allowed so much time to go by.
I'm with Hot Topic on this one. Especially considering the below;
I try to get the person who actually did this to heed my advice and sort it out, but this person doesn't seem to even care the slightest bit!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">