+ Reply to Thread
    stevieray54 is offline Junior Member

Son cashed checks that friend stole from his dad

State of posting: Tennessee

Need some advice here. My son, who is an 18 year old high school student, had a "friend" who stole some checks from his dad's account, made them out to my son who cashed them and gave the "friend" back the money. This was done under the pretense of the dad's knowledge. Now the "friend", who is a 17 year old minor, has been caught and admits he stole the checks and forged his dad's signature. Obviously, my son is guilty of being naive and stupid to believe his friend but swears that he didn't know that the "friend" was stealing the checks. There are also witnesses that saw the "friend" give my son the checks & tell him that his dad said it was OK.

There have been no criminal charges filed as of yet and I am told that typically if the banks get the money returned, they drop matters like this. What's going to happen here? Help!!!
    Last edited by stevieray54; 01-31-2006 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Add State
    seniorjudge is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevieray54

Need some advice here. My son, who is an 18 year old high school student, had a "friend" who stole some checks from his dad's account, made them out to my son who cashed them and gave the "friend" back the money. This was done under the pretense of the dad's knowledge. Now the "friend", who is a 17 year old minor, has been caught and admits he stole the checks and forged his dad's signature. Obviously, my son is guilty of being naive and stupid to believe his friend but swears that he didn't know that the "friend" was stealing the checks. There are also witnesses that saw the "friend" give my son the checks & tell him that his dad said it was OK.

There have been no criminal charges filed as of yet and I am told that typically if the banks get the money returned, they drop matters like this. What's going to happen here? Help!!!

Sounds like your son is quite the con artist.

I would make sure everyone got paid back and then ground the brat and take away his fancy clothes and anything electronic and anything with wheels.
    There are two rules for success:

(1) Never tell everything you know.
    justalayman is offline Senior Member
    The biggy here: Do you believe your son to be that naive?

Why would your son ever believe his "friends" dad is writing checks to your him? I think somebody's leg is getting pulled here. Have you measured yourself lately?

SJ has a good START. It wouldn't end anywhere near that easy for my kids.
    I think the judge or jury, if it came to that, would be a bit less believing of your son.
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorjudge
    Sounds like your son is quite the con artist.

I would make sure everyone got paid back and then ground the brat and take away his fancy clothes and anything electronic and anything with wheels.
    That's already being done. I told him about the old adage about "Lying down with dogs and getting up with fleas'". Should I offer to pay the bank back directly and are there any legal ramifications here? The story I'm getting from several parties is that the "friend" had tried this before with others until my son was stupid enough to trust him. Thanks for your help---
    seniorjudge is offline Senior Member
    That's already being done. I told him about the old adage about "Lying down with dogs and getting up with fleas'". Should I offer to pay the bank back directly and are there any legal ramifications here? The story I'm getting from several parties is that the "friend" had tried this before with others until my son was stupid enough to trust him. Thanks for your help---
    Pay whoever suffered the loss.
    There are two rules for success:

(1) Never tell everything you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by justalayman
    The biggy here: Do you believe your son to be that naive?

Why would your son ever believe his "friends" dad is writing checks to your him? I think somebody's leg is getting pulled here. Have you measured yourself lately?

SJ has a good START. It wouldn't end anywhere near that easy for my kids.
    I think the judge or jury, if it came to that, would be a bit less believing of your son.
    Yeah, he probably is that naive & trusting. Definitely that stupid sometimes. That old 18 going on 12. I warned him about hanging with this kid but he didn't listen. What I'm being told by several parties is that the "friend" would say "Let me stop my the house and get a check from my dad.", come back out with a signed check, give it to my son and than ask him to go cash it since my son has a checking account.

It never fails to amaze me how stupid people are, especially teenagers, although I know some adults in that category as well.
    Last edited by stevieray54; 01-31-2006 at 09:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorjudge
    Pay whoever suffered the loss.
    Should I contact the bank investigator and find out the total amount?
    Happy Trails is offline Senior Member
    I think you should consult a lawyer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Trails
    I think you should consult a lawyer.
    Probably not a bad idea but care to tell me why?
    Veronica1228 is offline Senior Member
    Should I contact the bank investigator and find out the total amount?
    Have you tried contacting the other father? He can decide to drop the entire matter if he so chooses. Ultimately, he is the one that has been victimized and he would be the one to file any charges against his son and yours. The bank can be cut out of the picture if it hasn't gone too far. I suggest you try that route.
    Last edited by Veronica1228; 02-01-2006 at 12:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Veronica1228
    Have you tried contacting the other father? He can decide to drop the entire matter if he so chooses. Ultimately, he is the one that has been victimized and he would be the one to file any charges against his son and yours. The bank can be cut out of the picture if it hasn't gone too far. I suggest you try that route.
    That other father's how I found out about it and he seems to be willing to let the matter drop as long as he or the bank get their money back which appears to be between $6-700. Hopefully, this is a wakeup call for my idiot son. Thanks for the advice.
    Litigation! is offline Senior Member
    stevieray54

It never fails to amaze me how stupid people are, especially teenagers, although I know some adults in that category as well.

My response:

Just look at the State!!

You're living in one of the Dufus States. Being "Stupid" is normal for Tennessee, and the other Dufus States.

You're son is on his way to flipping hamburgers for a living!

IAAL
    Last edited by Litigation!; 02-01-2006 at 03:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Litigation!
    My response:

Just look at the State!!

You're living in one of the Dufus States. Being "Stupid" is normal for Tennessee, and the other Dufus States.

You're son is on his way to flipping hamburgers for a living!

IAAL
    Nice response. I assume you're from one of the ******* states from the amount of "keyboard courage" you're exhibiting. Won't deny that my kid did something stupid but is generally pretty reliable, gets good grades and plays baseball. He'll be punished by me for what he's done,trust me.

Keep your inane comments to yourself.
    Ohiogal is offline Senior Member
    Dad,
    Make sure your son is the one paying the money back. It is time for him to get a job and pay the money back WITH interest. Court interest where I am is at 10% compounded (of course). Do not bail him out. He is old enough to learn.
    Veronica1228 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohiogal
    Dad,
    Make sure your son is the one paying the money back. It is time for him to get a job and pay the money back WITH interest. Court interest where I am is at 10% compounded (of course). Do not bail him out. He is old enough to learn.
    I don't disagree with what you're saying, but why compound? Even banks don't typically lend money using that type of interest calculation. I should think simple interest would be good enough.