• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Son cashed checks that friend stole from his dad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stevieray54

State of posting: Tennessee

Need some advice here. My son, who is an 18 year old high school student, had a "friend" who stole some checks from his dad's account, made them out to my son who cashed them and gave the "friend" back the money. This was done under the pretense of the dad's knowledge. Now the "friend", who is a 17 year old minor, has been caught and admits he stole the checks and forged his dad's signature. Obviously, my son is guilty of being naive and stupid to believe his friend but swears that he didn't know that the "friend" was stealing the checks. There are also witnesses that saw the "friend" give my son the checks & tell him that his dad said it was OK.

There have been no criminal charges filed as of yet and I am told that typically if the banks get the money returned, they drop matters like this. What's going to happen here? Help!!!

Last edited:

seniorjudge

stevieray54 said:

Need some advice here. My son, who is an 18 year old high school student, had a "friend" who stole some checks from his dad's account, made them out to my son who cashed them and gave the "friend" back the money. This was done under the pretense of the dad's knowledge. Now the "friend", who is a 17 year old minor, has been caught and admits he stole the checks and forged his dad's signature. Obviously, my son is guilty of being naive and stupid to believe his friend but swears that he didn't know that the "friend" was stealing the checks. There are also witnesses that saw the "friend" give my son the checks & tell him that his dad said it was OK.

There have been no criminal charges filed as of yet and I am told that typically if the banks get the money returned, they drop matters like this. What's going to happen here? Help!!!

Sounds like your son is quite the con artist.

I would make sure everyone got paid back and then ground the brat and take away his fancy clothes and anything electronic and anything with wheels.

justalayman

The biggy here: Do you believe your son to be that naive?

Why would your son ever believe his "friends" dad is writing checks to your him? I think somebody's leg is getting pulled here. Have you measured yourself lately?

SJ has a good START. It wouldn't end anywhere near that easy for my kids.
I think the judge or jury, if it came to that, would be a bit less believing of your son.

stevieray54

seniorjudge said:
Sounds like your son is quite the con artist.

I would make sure everyone got paid back and then ground the brat and take away his fancy clothes and anything electronic and anything with wheels.
That's already being done. I told him about the old adage about "Lying down with dogs and getting up with fleas'". Should I offer to pay the bank back directly and are there any legal ramifications here? The story I'm getting from several parties is that the "friend" had tried this before with others until my son was stupid enough to trust him. Thanks for your help---

seniorjudge

stevieray54 said:
That's already being done. I told him about the old adage about "Lying down with dogs and getting up with fleas'". Should I offer to pay the bank back directly and are there any legal ramifications here? The story I'm getting from several parties is that the "friend" had tried this before with others until my son was stupid enough to trust him. Thanks for your help---
Pay whoever suffered the loss.

stevieray54

justalayman said:
The biggy here: Do you believe your son to be that naive?

Why would your son ever believe his "friends" dad is writing checks to your him? I think somebody's leg is getting pulled here. Have you measured yourself lately?

SJ has a good START. It wouldn't end anywhere near that easy for my kids.
I think the judge or jury, if it came to that, would be a bit less believing of your son.
Yeah, he probably is that naive & trusting. Definitely that stupid sometimes. That old 18 going on 12. I warned him about hanging with this kid but he didn't listen. What I'm being told by several parties is that the "friend" would say "Let me stop my the house and get a check from my dad.", come back out with a signed check, give it to my son and than ask him to go cash it since my son has a checking account.

It never fails to amaze me how stupid people are, especially teenagers, although I know some adults in that category as well.

Last edited:

Veronica1228

stevieray54 said:
Should I contact the bank investigator and find out the total amount?
Have you tried contacting the other father? He can decide to drop the entire matter if he so chooses. Ultimately, he is the one that has been victimized and he would be the one to file any charges against his son and yours. The bank can be cut out of the picture if it hasn't gone too far. I suggest you try that route.

Last edited:

stevieray54

Veronica1228 said:
Have you tried contacting the other father? He can decide to drop the entire matter if he so chooses. Ultimately, he is the one that has been victimized and he would be the one to file any charges against his son and yours. The bank can be cut out of the picture if it hasn't gone too far. I suggest you try that route.
That other father's how I found out about it and he seems to be willing to let the matter drop as long as he or the bank get their money back which appears to be between $6-700. Hopefully, this is a wakeup call for my idiot son. Thanks for the advice.

Litigation!

stevieray54

It never fails to amaze me how stupid people are, especially teenagers, although I know some adults in that category as well.

My response:

Just look at the State!!

You're living in one of the Dufus States. Being "Stupid" is normal for Tennessee, and the other Dufus States.

You're son is on his way to flipping hamburgers for a living!

IAAL

Last edited:

stevieray54

Litigation! said:
My response:

Just look at the State!!

You're living in one of the Dufus States. Being "Stupid" is normal for Tennessee, and the other Dufus States.

You're son is on his way to flipping hamburgers for a living!

IAAL
Nice response. I assume you're from one of the ******* states from the amount of "keyboard courage" you're exhibiting. Won't deny that my kid did something stupid but is generally pretty reliable, gets good grades and plays baseball. He'll be punished by me for what he's done,trust me.

Keep your inane comments to yourself.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Dad,
Make sure your son is the one paying the money back. It is time for him to get a job and pay the money back WITH interest. Court interest where I am is at 10% compounded (of course). Do not bail him out. He is old enough to learn.

Veronica1228

Ohiogal said:
Dad,
Make sure your son is the one paying the money back. It is time for him to get a job and pay the money back WITH interest. Court interest where I am is at 10% compounded (of course). Do not bail him out. He is old enough to learn.
I don't disagree with what you're saying, but why compound? Even banks don't typically lend money using that type of interest calculation. I should think simple interest would be good enough.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">