• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSI/SSDI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Nisa64

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I am about $40,0000 in debt and currently on a combination of SSI/SSDI. My total monthly income is $584.00 ..$56.00 in SSI payment, & $517.00 in SSDI. i became disabled in 2000. Before that, I was working.

I am currently saving to file bankruptcy and have stopped payments to my creditors.

I am being harassed by creditors. I intend to write cease and disist letters to them next month (I do not have a printer for my computer at this time. Need to buy one with next check).

My question is...with my very low income of disability, am I *judgement proof?* I've done some research online, and from my understanding the first $750.00 of disability cannot be garnished. Is this the case? Am I safe until I can file bankruptcy?

Also, am I safe from garnishments from student loans? When I file, I intend to add student loans to bankruptcy, claiming severe financial hardship.

Thank you
Nisa64

Last edited:

A

anon29072

I can't answer about you being judgement proof. However, I believe that if the people calling you about your debts are the original creditors and not 3rd party debt collectors, they are not bound by the rules of the FDCPA regarding discontinuing contacting after a cease and desist letter has been received. Unless they are contacting you at work and you tell them that you cannot receive such calls, their calls to you are not against any laws. In this case, you aren't working, so that is not applicable.

You best temporary bet is to get a new phone number that is not listed. That's more likely going to be cheaper than most printers. Once you hire an attorney to handle your bankruptcy, all calls should be referred to him/her.

Good luck!

N

Nisa64

These are third party collection agencies that are calling.

BTW, a printer is something I want/need anyway, for other things other than writing C&D letters :)

Nisa

C

coosi

My question is...with my very low income of disability, am I *judgement proof?* I've done some research online, and from my understanding the first $750.00 of disability cannot be garnished. Is this the case? Am I safe until I can file bankruptcy?

**My understanding is that SS disability cannot be garnished, however, if it's in a bank account, it must be proven that the total amount is from this source.

Also, am I safe from garnishments from student loans? When I file, I intend to add student loans to bankruptcy, claiming severe financial hardship.

**If you are permanently disabled, Federal student loans can be dismissed/forgiven. There are downloadable forms at the dept of educ site for your doctor to complete (1 per each lender)

**The following article may be of interest...

www.gulpny.org/Disability/SSI - SSD/SSISSD/social_security_benefits_subject.htm

Last edited:
G

gorper99

SSDI cannot be garnished,except by the government-back taxes,student loans etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">